Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Help-Custom Pack batteries.??

(1/3) > >>

evilknight007:
Hi Ppl.
 I have got  10 individual  NiCd 1.2V 3000mAh(sub c size) batteries for my robot. i wasn't able to find a holder for the
batteries . Can anyone help me in suggesting a effective way to pack this batteries in to two packs .?? ???

Will soldering the wire leads to the battery terminal affect its reusability .Or is there a better way ?

I remember seeing a link which said how to custom pack battries but was dumb enough not to bookmark it . ;D

Thank u .

jabberwocky:
A fairly decent and neat way to pack the batteries together would be a piece of heat shrink tubing.  Take at a look on the McMaster-Carr store for heat-shrink and it'll come up with some various sizes.

As for soldering the battery terminals together, i can't comment.  I've always used batteries that fit into a holder, or already have connectors attached (which happen to be soldered anyway, but i expect it wouldn't be as severe as my soldering  ;D )

Admin:
Set your soldering iron heat up to max. The batteries absorb the heat really fast so if your heat is too low, you will never get a good bond.

jabberwocky:

--- Quote from: Admin on November 02, 2007, 10:42:54 AM ---Set your soldering iron heat up to max.
--- End quote ---

Maybe i could do some savage soldering then!  Is it ok to do this high temp soldering to all battery types?

Admin:
Ideally you don't want to apply any heat at all to the battery as it can denature chemicals, create gasses, etc.

Heat takes time to travel. Since your battery contains large amounts of metal, it can absorb heat in a short period of time. It is possible for it to absorb heat as fast as you apply the heat, meaning the temperature stays too low for solder to bond.

Remember that heat is not temperature! It is possible to have lots of heat and still be cold (or vice versa).

You would end up keeping your iron on the battery longer, with more distributed heat, resulting in more heat damage.

If you set your iron to really really hot, the temperature jumps really fast at a point location so you can solder really fast. By the time the heat starts to get absorbed by the battery, you'd already be done.

The one disadvantage to a high temperature is that you can damage the soldering iron tip much easier - so use a tip you don't care about.

(hope that made sense, this is stuff that mechanical engineers learn to calculate/optimize as an undergrad)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version