Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Spider Robot Platform

(1/4) > >>

airman00:
OK this is a two part question

First Part: What are the differences between quadrapod robots and hexapod robot ?  Besides Hexapod having better stability.

VS.

Second Part: 
Do you think it is possible / worth it   to make a hexapod or quadrapod from scratch or to just buy one ready made?

cooldog:
depending on the price i would say buy them

the cost of the servos and costom parts will kill u ::)

Fredrik Andersson:
Oh yes, it's very possible. In fact, I and a team on school is working on a hexapod robot.

We bought the cheap GWS S03T servos, which, though they are pretty oversized (they wont fit SES brackets, the ones Lynxmotion uses) is still performing really well. My own experience of them is that they have very high quality, no twitching, varying strength and speed on every unit of them. Google for them, they are only $10 a unit.

The difference between a quadropod and a hexapod (besides the number of legs) is that you can only receive good and easy results moving one leg at the time with a quadropod. I guess you could program a gait that makes it move two of the legs at one time but that would be pretty hard to get good working. The hexapod however is able to lift three of the legs while still standing stable. I would definitely go for a hexapod (and well, thats what i did) because of the much more possibilities it gives you. The extra possibilities is worth more than the cost of the extra servos and such.

Check out my thread about our project: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=2777.0

airman00:
thanks

will you be making a tutorial?

Fredrik Andersson:
Yes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version