Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

First non-kit robot

<< < (2/2)

gamefreak:
sorry if im sounding dumb, but it doesnt say what the units are, ex. OZ,Kg,Pd,In,M

It makes me more confused because i dont know what the units i should be typing in is.

So far i figured that to keep my wheels at the 3 inces in diameter then my velocity is 6, so i go 6 feet per second with a 3 inch diamter wheel going at an RPS of 2/3?

dunk:
hey gamefreak,
so for working out your speed, the first thing you want to do is convert every thing to the same units.
so for example, if your motor turns at 40 RPM, that is 40 Revolutions Per Minute.
and the diameter of your wheel is 3 inches so the circumference (ie, the distance moved if your wheel goes one complete rotation) is: 3*PI=9.424719 inches.

so 40 Revolutions Per Minute * 9.424719 inches = 377 inches per minute.
377 inches per minute. / 60 = 6.28 inches per second
6.28 inches per second / 12 = 0.5 feet per second.

hmm, i'm starting to confuse myself.

dunk.

JonHylands:
dunk, the circumference of a circle is PI times the diameter, period...

- Jon

dunk:
hehe. yes. sorry. tired.

i'm editing my original post now in the hope no one will ever know...

dunk.

gamefreak:
i missed dunks mistake? DARN, i wanted to take a picture  ;D,

And .5 feet per second sounds pretty fast, course i would love to double that (thinks of evil uses) to help humanity.

Also this is all imaginary, i dont know the RPM, or how to find it for that matter, once i actually build the bot. I know im going to use HDPE and it will be about an 8*6.6 and 3/16 inches thick, Not to mention breadboard,servos, maybe radio controll and im clueless on the weight.

Withen 2 months i want to either have an animatronic or an RC robot for TSA, but im unsure of which to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version