Author Topic: Single header pin and socket  (Read 3193 times)

Offline atommicTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Single header pin and socket
« on: April 21, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
I am undertaking aproject where many signals are carried through 60way ribbon cable. I have used these header plougs and sockets to attach the ribbon cable to the PCB.

http://au.farnell.com/multicomp/mc6fd060-30p1-cq/socket-idc-with-s-relief-60way/dp/1099265?_requestid=18163

http://au.farnell.com/multicomp/mc9b132-6034/header-straight-l-latch-60way/dp/1099033

In the arrangement of wires there are voltage supplies and data channels. What I wanted to do is interrupt the data signals but still allow the voltages to be supplied. I was wondering if there are any products avaliable that are like a single header pin attached to a single header socket?

If I could place these single headers between the 60way plug and socket on the power supply pins, the signal pins I want to interrupt won't.

If anyone has any ideas about other forums I should try that would be better I'd love to know. Or if anyone has a better idea of how to isolate the data signals.

Thanks

I know I could just cut some of the wires in the rippon cable or pull out some of the socket terminals. But I wanted the process to be reversable so I can easily go back and change the arrangement of what pins are connected and what ones are not.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Single header pin and socket
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
how about some DIP switches in series on the ribbon or something...? Im not sure im entirely grasping what youre asking?
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
how about some DIP switches in series on the ribbon or something...? Im not sure im entirely grasping what youre asking?
i think he wants to have one ribbon cable and be able to turn off certain signals in the cable, all except the voltage and gnd wires. i think a dip switch would be great.
Howdy

Offline atommicTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:16:54 PM »
Yes I am trying to turn off some signals in the robbon cable. DIP switchs would be good however the PCBs are fixed so I cant solder switches into the board.

The problem with that is, whilst the headers are spaced 2.54mm (0.1in) the ribbon wire pitch is half that, 1.27mm (0.05in).

Do you know of any ribbon wire mount versions of DIP switches?

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »
you could always just separate the wires just enough to solder them to the DIP switch leads
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »
Get another connector/socket pair and solder them together using small pieces of wire and only solder those where you want contact, so you have an adaptor that goes between the socket on the PCB and the connector on the ribbon cable. You can also solder a dipswitch on the data connections, like others have suggested, so you can turn the signals on/off. When you are done, you can take out the "adapter" and your setup is back to normal.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »
Hi,

Why do you need to "cut" the data lines?

If it's for testing purposes, a small PCB with switches, a short length of cable with a male or female connector and a PCB mounted connector of the opposite gender would be a valid "tool" to build (or just make a test cable and physically cut what you don't want/need).
most of the times you build something, even just a little bit complicated, you often need to build some kind of test rig, to be able to test it thoroughly out in advance - but hey, that's one of the joys of prototyping ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here