go away spammer

Author Topic: Micro Robot  (Read 4060 times)

Offline AbsoluteTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Micro Robot
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »
 ;DI’m new to the world of robotics and I have recently found this tutorial (http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-Small-Robots-Making-One-Cubic-Inch-Micro/),  I would like to build this robot however :-[ the tutorial is not quite explanatory. Is it possible if you ( 8)experienced robotic builders) could build this and give me a detailed tutorial?

Offline offy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Micro Robot
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »
I would not build that if you are new. It is very small and one mess up with the soldering iron and you have to start all over. I would say start off with the $50 robot on this site.

Offline Canabots

• Contest Winner
  • Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • It's not a bug, it's a feature!
    • Salmigondis Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
I'd have to agree with offy. There would be too many issues with building a robot this small with ou any prior experience.

Here are just a few of them:

-Power: how will you supply enough power affordably without taking too much space/weight?
-Drive Train: how will you create an efficient drive train that provides enough torque for your robot, yet small enough with a low failure rate?
-Controller: how do you plan on creating a super small controller with minimal errors without many soldering skills?

Don't forget about your budget!

This is not to discourage you, but to understand the difficulties of creating such a small robot and also for you to think of what you really need for this robot. Infact, I think you should take on this project! :) But first, do something simpler like the $50 robot, as offy suggested.

I hope you enjoy robotics!

My robotics, electronics, software, or other stuff blog:
www.saltech.wordpress.com

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
Well, if you do want to make something like that it's basically the same principle as the 50 dollar one, but a bit more expensive and shrunk down, take a look at the MEGABitty (yes it does use an older controller, but they are very handy considering their size:  http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=49
Kurt

Offline fiflak666

• Helpful? 0
  • My native language isn't english :P
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »
I recommend Solid Works, this program has really great capability

It's free for students, I use it for designing my mobile robots, for example:

Offline offy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
Ya, SolidWorks rules. I use 2007 right now but I am goign to get 2009 when I build a new computer for CAD and Gaming.

This is what I did in SolidWorks in 30 mins or so.

Get Your Ad Here