Author Topic: IR emitter detector  (Read 2151 times)

Offline roboninja93Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
IR emitter detector
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
hello
for the IR sensor what is the output voltage in dark condition?
if R2 is around 10k and then what would be the output voltage in dark conditions?
please help...
thanks

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
Re: IR emitter detector
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
hello
for the IR sensor what is the output voltage in dark condition?
if R2 is around 10k and then what would be the output voltage in dark conditions?
please help...
thanks

That depends on how bright your emitters are, how sensitive your photo transistor is, what "dark" means to you, etc.

As a general answer though, since you're going to be reading the values with an ADC, print the values you get to a display of some kind, graph them or whatever.

If you want a formula, someone more math aware than I am can probably give you one if you (as Soren would say) eliminate the adjective and provide some numbers.

Joe

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
Hi,

If you want a formula, someone more math aware than I am can probably give you one if you (as Soren would say) eliminate the adjective and provide some numbers.
Hehe, this one can be done without numbers, assuming dark means no light (whatsoever), as this would, for any practical purpose, remove the photo transistor from the equation and if the input impedance of the A/D-C is sufficiently high (like at least R2 x 100 or 1M), it really doesn't matter either, so it's Vcc with R2 in series, but with no significant loading = Vcc (or at least within 1%).

That is just not very interesting, when it comes to real life use, but I'd suggest roboninja93 went and read the recent postings about the subject (does people ever search the forum?) as a starter:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=15028.0
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:55:07 AM »
yeah I had read the tutorial but didnt see the topic on the forum but saw now...
I have one doubt
in light conditions the transistor's resistance is less so we get low voltage  but since we have used the resistance R2 higher than the resistance of the transistor in dark condition how would we get the output close to maximum?
or would would be somewhere close to half of Vcc(i.e. 5V)?
thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »
'Hi,

I have one doubt
in light conditions the transistor's resistance is less so we get low voltage
Yes, the more light, the lower the output.

but since we have used the resistance R2 higher than the resistance of the transistor in dark condition how would we get the output close to maximum?
R2 is not higher than the resistance of the photo transistor in dark condition - if totally screened from light, the transistor will be completely off (= extremely high resistance).
What the resistance will be, with the LEDs on, but over a dark (non-reflective) surface, depends on the specific photo transistor and you'll have to measure the voltage and adjust R2 if needed - I thought you read the other thread?

or would would be somewhere close to half of Vcc(i.e. 5V)?
Only when the photo transistor equals R2 will it be at 2.5V
Perhaps read the other thread once more and then experiment, experiment and experiment - that's how you get the connection between theory and real world application.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:58:39 AM »
yeah i got it... we have to adjust the value of R2 to get proper output according the light conditions...
thanks

Get Your Ad Here

data_list