Author Topic: How do you mount the other side of the servo?  (Read 5714 times)

Offline S. KarimTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
How do you mount the other side of the servo?
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:21:24 PM »
This is a general question for all standard servos.

As far as the horn, you screw that onto the thing you're going to "actuate". However, the side OPPOSITE the one of the horn (the back of the servo), is perfectly flat, with sometimes 4 screws you can open to look at the built in chip. How do you mount this side to keep the servo body locked, and only allow the horn to spin W/O buying brackets? Say Im using plastic or metal to make my frame.

Any clever ideas? Glue might work...but its a bit messy.

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: How do you mount the other side of the servo?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
If you're going to go with glue, go with the best- gorilla (if you want it to stay practically forever that is)
hmmm.. without brackets....
I guess- though its pretty ghetto- some paper and tape should take care of it!
(double sided sticky tape will one day rule the world)
Mega

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »
Not forever, I might just use something strong to stick to wood. Im trying to do this in the least ghetto-est way...maybe using screws or something or some sort of cheap plate thingy I can buy....

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 06:35:44 PM »
So, I may be able to help further if you could supply more information. There is always Elmer's wood glue. If you use it correctly, it could look quite nice.

Mega

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »
you could make a little enclosure for the servo which is what I did with cardboard on my cardboard chassis. The spindle that the horn connects too has a slightly elevated base (about 1mm raised) and that raised spot is about 12.5mm in diameter and the spindle is about 3mm tall from that base. You could make a face plate 1-2mm thick with a 12.5mm diameter hole in it and use that for the face plate and then line that up parallel with another piece of your material that your using and then make 2 panels for its top and bottom (which would but its 2 side if you mount it the way that is shown in the tutorial) and have it so that that the 4 sides you just created all match up nicely....

Kind of a rough description but hopefully you get the idea... or at least got an idea of your own :-p

BTW, These measurements are all biased to the HS-311 Standard servo from HiTec
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 02:52:39 AM »
"maybe using screws or something or some sort of cheap plate thingy I can buy...."
Its kind of risky to try screwing INTO the servo back itself. I dont know if that was your thought but if you are i would first screw up the servo, look for some space you could screw your scre into so it doesn't hit the chip or the DC motor (or any wires for that sake)
How to build a biped bot:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:19:27 AM »

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »
I'm actually using double sided tape to mount my servos to a "frame". Strong enough for my needs and I can remove it when I need to.

"Frame" is a metal sheet from those metallic calling card holders :)
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 02:49:20 PM »
(double sided sticky tape will one day rule the world)
I'm actually using double sided tape to mount my servos to a "frame". Strong enough for my needs and I can remove it when I need to.
(double sided sticky tape will one day rule the world)told ya.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »
I might use double sided tape, how strong is it...?

you could make a little enclosure for the servo which is what I did with cardboard on my cardboard chassis. The spindle that the horn connects too has a slightly elevated base (about 1mm raised) and that raised spot is about 12.5mm in diameter and the spindle is about 3mm tall from that base. You could make a face plate 1-2mm thick with a 12.5mm diameter hole in it and use that for the face plate and then line that up parallel with another piece of your material that your using and then make 2 panels for its top and bottom (which would but its 2 side if you mount it the way that is shown in the tutorial) and have it so that that the 4 sides you just created all match up nicely....

Kind of a rough description but hopefully you get the idea... or at least got an idea of your own :-p

BTW, These measurements are all biased to the HS-311 Standard servo from HiTec
This is hard to imagine...very hard. A picture would help.

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »
Ok, when my sister moved out, she left a lot of guy magazine covers on the back of the door (my door now) she used double sided sticky tape and it was almost as if she had nailed 'em on. (very strong for tape)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »
I use industrial strength double sided foam tape . . . its almost impossible to remove it so I only use it when Im lazy . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list