Author Topic: Flying BattleBot Build  (Read 2534 times)

Offline BattleBotBoy09Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Flying BattleBot Build
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »
This is my first post, I will give a brief background because I have some very specific questions I would like answered and would love to hear what everyone take on this idea.

My friends and I would arguing the other day, and they said you could never built a flying robot that with an emp charge. All I have to do is develop a robot to fly in, blast switch the emp on and fly out. i have figure out a way to make a small emp, and also protect my robot from it but I can't build the robot.

Starters, I have never built a robot, or studied any type of C++ or other computer programming languages. I am a robot noob. I am studying to become a chemical engineer, so math wise I am pretty good. I have download a 3D Cad program to begin with specs, and develop the idea before constructing the model.

May questions include,
 What kind of microcontroller should I use for a flying robot?
 Is there a type of metal better then titanium, for flying robots?
 I also have alot of old and spare computer parts, alot, what could I use this for?
 Is there a program I can use to control the robot from my laptop?
 Any advice?

This may seemed far fetched or take a while, but I have time, and I have a good idea I think but you guys can tell me what you think.

Thanks

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Flying BattleBot Build
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
Hi there and welcome :)

Any that fits the bill  ;D In other words, any microcontroller that You feel comfortable working with and that can fullfill tasks required to controll flying EMP cannon  ;D

Aluminium. Although, there are other, more suitable, materials to use for a flying device.

Not for flying EMP  ;D but in all seriousness - there are loads, just look around. Another option is write one Yourself, that way You get exactly what You want to get.

Any advice?
You don't want to know it  ;D
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
You might want to check on the legal issues with building and discharging a EMP device since many regulations stipulate a device may not cause interference to other devices. Since an EMPs primary purpose is to cause interference you could run into legal issues. Sounds like a fun project though!

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:56:55 AM »
Hello

Like nIR said; anything that fits the bill.

Titanium/[insert other metal here] would be too heavy, and expensive to use.
Wood and plastic are both strong , light , and comparatively easy to work with.
Balsa wood is light and strong and flexible.
Use Titanium when you want to build an Iron Man clone  :P

I also have alot of old and spare computer parts, alot, what could I use this for?
Mostly no use at all, but you might be able to salvage some capacitors from PSUs and motherboards.
Capacitor-resistor pairs can be used to make an EMF (Electro-magnetic field).
Anything that generates EMP / EMF is going to be large and heavy, and they eat batteries FAST
You can get big capacitors from Disposable cameras with flash.

Probably quite a few , but if you do create an EMF/P it'll perma-erase your harddrive lol

Any advice?
Consult your lawyer  :P

You might want to check on the legal issues with building and discharging a EMP device since many regulations stipulate a device may not cause interference to other devices. Since an EMPs primary purpose is to cause interference you could run into legal issues. Sounds like a fun project though!

Also read some of the tutorials on the mainsite

Hope this helps

Voyager

And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.