Author Topic: Pololu ISP programmer + hotfix + slow bootloader issue?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Pololu ISP programmer + hotfix + slow bootloader issue?
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
The Pololu ISP programmer does not work with Windows XP SP2 if your usbser.sys version is below 5.1.2600.2930. Unfortunately mine is below.

Now, Windows has a hotfix that will fix the issue, and is already included in SP3 . . . BUT . . .

I am concerned that by installing this fix I will then cause the Axon bootloader to become super slow, a known SP3 problem . . .

Does anyone have SP2, this hotfix installed, and the Axon bootloader isn't slow? I'd try myself but worried I wouldn't be able to undo the hotfix . . .

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Pololu ISP programmer + hotfix + slow bootloader issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
I noticed this problem this weekend as well... (and was going to report this, which is how I ended up posting here) didn't install the hotfix because I don't want to break my setup prior to competition in 2 weeks :)

However, I'm 99% sure one can uninstall all of the hotfixes.  Hotfixes show up in XP in the add/remove programs dialog when you show updates.

But ya... I suspect this will cripple the USB like SP3 does.  But doesn't this method negate the need to use Fboot via USB, thereby making USB speed irrelevant most of the time?

I'll try this in a few weeks and report back with the results.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:58:29 AM by Gertlex »
I

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
Quick update, I couldn't download the hotfix you linked ("service not available" or some such).  Googling got me that same page as first hit. Second hit was this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918365#appliesto
It's a more recent version of the same file, so could work.  I'll test it this evening.  (Possibly related is that I'm also doing this in an attempt to make the USB2AX v3.0 beta device work... probably not of interest, but the issues I'm having with it are currently documented here)

I'll update this evening...
I

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
So it seems to work to install the hotfix I linked.  Uploading to my axon via USB is still fast, and the Pony-Prog shows up as three devices in Device Manager as described in the user manual.  (Didn't fix my USB2AX problem, however)
I

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
So it seems to work to install the hotfix I linked.  Uploading to my axon via USB is still fast, and the Pony-Prog shows up as three devices in Device Manager as described in the user manual.  (Didn't fix my USB2AX problem, however)
Is the option to uninstall the hotfix available?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »
Yup! Make sure you hit the Show updates box at the top, too:
I

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
Awesome. But I didn't bring my Pololu programmer with me overseas with me . . . will have to wait till next summer when I'm back to try it out ;D

Get Your Ad Here