Electronics > Electronics

head for walking robot

<< < (4/4)

dunk:
there is no easy way to send output from a USB webcam to a RS232 port.
like i said, building anything yourself that could read information form a high speed USB device like a camera would be a huge undertaking.

i am indeed talking about the wireless USB camera you saw on ebay.
i know on the Linux operating system there is no shortage of applications that will grab a single jpeg image from a USB camera when you run them.
i have no idea how you intend to decide when to capture an image. presumably you are going to need some sort of wireless sensor feedback to your PC as well as the webcam.

dunk.

toastman:
Thank you again for all the helps... I'm still trying to find other possible design for this, but for now I think I'll stick with this idea of using wireless webcam first. So if using the wireless usb webcam, i think i still need wireless transceiver, since the wireless webcam take picture by software means, so i think i need the sensor to send signal to pc when object detected so that the software would start taking picture, process, then send feedback back to the robot. so i find this wireless transceiver circuit... just want to know whether this kind of circuit would be enough to be used in here (http://www.semifluid.com/PIC18LF2550_RF24G_serial.php). And will it be a problem to have one 2.4 GHz wireless link and also one 1.2 GHz wireless link for the webcam?

dunk:
yes, the wireless transceiver circuit you link to there would work fine.
it's far more complicated than it needs to be in my opinion though.
i don't understand why he needs a PC serial port link on both modules rather than just a PC at one end and a microcontroller at the other.
the link that site references is far simpler but less well documented:
http://www.istop.com/~micro/electronics/rf.htm

to get that sort of link working, the first thing you want to do is get a microcontroller communicating with a PC's serial port using the microcontroller's UART using a MAX232 buffer to convert between the PC's serial ports (higher) voltages and the micro controller's (lower) voltages.
do a web search for help on this part. there is lots out there. (also search this forum. i've replied to this sort of thing before.)
once you are able to pass information over this link, insert a pair of transceiver modules between the micro controller and the MAX232 chip.
it's fairly straight forward once you have the PC->microcontroller link working.

i really must write an article on this for Admin to post on his site as lots of people ask about this.

as for your question about 2 different radio links on the one project,
yes, that will work fine.
you will need 2 different aerials but as long as both circuits use different frequencies they should play together.

dunk.

Admin:

--- Quote ---i really must write an article on this for Admin to post on his site as lots of people ask about this.
--- End quote ---

I encourage you! I am currently working on a bluetooth tutorial, but I wont go into very much detail on the UART/serial thing.

This is it so far:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_bluetooth_robot.shtml
But as of this post its like only 20% completed . . . I will also do another tutorial on the transceiver in maybe like 2-3 months from now . . . but if you do a UART/serial/rs232 tutorial that should really help as I can just link to it in future tutorials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version