Author Topic: 50$ robot complete noob question about the avr programmer  (Read 2668 times)

Offline miguel83Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
50$ robot complete noob question about the avr programmer
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »
hello and sorry if i sound a bit frustuated. I'm a complete noob ill state that right now. so please dont assume anything. Ive read and read the 50$ tutorial and here are my challenges.
 when i get to the modify the servo i need a microcontroller which i dont have... so then it has a link to how another guy did it by using an arudino, but i dont have that either :-). so i figuered at the end of the project is the buildling the microcontroller so i have to start there first so that i can approitately fix my servo right? so thats one question.
Next question if i have the avr isp2 programmer and the pocket avr programmer do i still need the dongle programmer?
 it seems like the avr programmer is already usb capable?... at the end when i attempt to program my robot whould i be conecting the dongle to the actual microcontroller? or would i be usingg the pocket avr programmer? im not sure what the purpose of the pocket programmer is ... I bought every single item in the part  list so i have everything that i need except that i dont see a switch on the parts list so i think I need to buy that. It looks like thats how you fired it up again.
Again Please forgive me if i sound frustuated, im a programer, and i have build engines from the ground up (Just to give you a little bit about my background) but I dont have much experience with electronics.
Hope someone can help me.
Thanks
Miguel

Offline walkercreations

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
Re: 50$ robot complete noob question about the avr programmer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
Welcome to SoR! I will try to answer your questions.

Question 1, in order to "center" your servos for modification per the tutorial, yes you will need an MCU. I recommend building that first so you can use it for the servo modification step.

Question 2, if you have the AVR ISP MkII programmer, that is all you will need to program your MCU. One thing to note, depending on the schematic you use to build your MCU, you will either wind up with a 10 pin or a 6 pin setup. The AVR ISP MkII programmer is a 6 pin device so make sure you have built the correct setup on your MCU.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are plenty of very knowledgeable folks here that are more than willing to help.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:52:38 AM by walkercreations »
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
You only need 1 of the programmers, not all 3.  If you have the AVR ISP programmer, you don't need the dongle or the pocket programmer.

Offline darknrgy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:24:55 PM »
Make sure you know what you're getting into with the AVR stuff :). Arduino is an alternative to owning a programmer and building your own breakout board. It's just one board with a microcontroller on it that can also have USB. So if you bought that, you'd be done buying things for your microcontroller.

There is a steeper leaning curve with owning an AVR programmer board and writing code with win-avr. You eventually have to navigate something like this: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/2503s.pdf But trust me, it is so rewarding when you can learn those PDFs and write your own code and start hooking things up to it without it blowing up.

Owning your own programmer means you can buy more and more microctroller chips and stick them in there and upload programs to them and make them do your bidding. Each microcontroller is cheap and there is a wide variety for different applications. Arduino requires buying another arduino every time you want another microcontroller, and restricts what you can do with form factor and, to some extent, the true capabilities of the chip.

Either requires actually knowing C. If you're just uploading a program you don't need to know C. Eventually you would know C.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
guys thank you much for all you replys i really apreciates. however i now have another stupid question.what size electrical solder do you all use. Im using .062 and i think its way to big for this poject in fact my new adjustable weller wsd51 is having problem melting the solder...? is that normal? i think it has to do with the fact that I prob need a much smaller solder  is that right?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »
Hi,

what size electrical solder do you all use. Im using .062 and i think its way to big for this poject
Yes, it's a bit heavy for most electronics. I use 0.024", 0.032" and 0.039".

in fact my new adjustable weller wsd51 is having problem melting the solder...? is that normal? i think it has to do with the fact that I prob need a much smaller solder  is that right?
The WSD51 should have no problem melting your solder - what setting do you use? Did you try to up the temp?
If it won't melt 0.062" solder at the highest setting (with a clean tip), it is broken.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:05:58 AM »
i thought it might be brokrn too... but when you buy two soldering irons and you throw one way  because you think is the soldering iron and not you, and then you start having the same problem with the second one. then the problem must be me. im up to 800 degrees and the tip does not get hot enought to melt my solder right above the tip its hot enough but the tip is not you you think maybe i just need different tips? im using the eta tip wich is the stand screwdriver like tip...
i keep wacthing tutorial where people just put the tip on whatever they are going to solder let it heat for a little and voila but for me thats not working?...
Miguel

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
Soldering takes some practice to get the hang of. 

First and most importantly, make sure your tip is shiny and silver.  If its black or darkened, then you have failed to tin the tip and you will have to either clean it or replace the tip.  The first time you turn on your iron after replacing the tip, sit there holding a piece of solder against it until it gets hot enough to melt.  As soon as it does, rub the solder all over the tip so its covered in solder.  This coat of solder will protect it keep it from getting black and not being able to transfer heat properly.

Second, remember that the very end of the tip, where it comes to a point, is not the best part to use for soldering.  It just doesn't make contact enough to transfer heat very well.  Press the side of the tip, just behind the point, against what you're trying to heat up.  Have as much of the iron making contact as possible.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
Hi,

[...] im up to 800 degrees and the tip does not get hot enought to melt my solder right above the tip its hot enough but the tip is not you you think maybe i just need different tips? im using the eta tip wich is the stand screwdriver like tip...
My first thought was that you might have iron wire instead of solder, but if it's just the tip that doesn't get hot, it sounds like it's not the right tip for the Weller - how is the fit?
It has to have a good fit to transfer the heat.

i keep wacthing tutorial where people just put the tip on whatever they are going to solder let it heat for a little and voila but for me thats not working?...
It's not you!
If you cannot melt the solder by holding it against the tip, something is wrong and the tip is not 800°F
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list