go away spammer

Author Topic: Remove 2 servo gears for higher RPM  (Read 4468 times)

Offline RiOTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Remove 2 servo gears for higher RPM
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »
I wonder if it is possible to remove some of the servo gears to lower the gear ratio and get to higher speed. My idea is to take a standard servo, remove the pot and electronics and remove 2 gears from the gearbox so in the end I would have a small gearmotor.
If the original servo is 0.16s / 60 degrees, which is about 60 RPM,  then such gear removal would change the ratio by about 10-15 and I'd get something like 600 RPM. Of course the torque will be proportionately lower.
Has anyone done this? Is it possible at all?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Remove 2 servo gears for higher RPM
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:50:32 AM »
Hi,

Anything is possible, but is it practical? To answer that, you'll have to look at how it would need to be done. Axles can be removed and if there is room for it, new ones can be mounted etc., but you have to look at the exact servo that you are working with to see if you can do it.

Whenever in doubt, first do all the testing and experimenting that don't need irreversible changes.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

paulstreats

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »
Dont forget that it will also have less power for moving if you do this.

The easy way to increase speed is to use wheels with a bigger diameter.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
Hi,

Dont forget that it will also have less power for moving if you do this.

I think RiO got that covered:
[...] Of course the torque will be proportionately lower.

The easy way to increase speed is to use wheels with a bigger diameter.
Yes, but it is equivalent to first gearing down then up. It's less wastefull to reduce gear ratio and keep (whatever) size. There might be restrictions to the diameter of the wheels as well.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline fiflak666

• Helpful? 0
  • My native language isn't english :P
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:08 AM »
the answer is YES - servo gear can be modified for higher RPM, but there are exceptions

I've done it with servo Tower Pro SG 5010 - it has plastic gear so it's quite easy to modify it - cut some gears, glue another one, drill a hole etc.

but I've also tried to modify gear in Tower Pro MG-16R and the only result was damage of the gear because it has metal gear and the only thing you can do with gears is hange its sequence or simlpy remove whole toothed gear

modified Tower Pro SG 5010 if very fast, even too fast for minisumo (supply voltage 12V), so it has to be controlled via PWM

Offline RiOTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:41:23 AM »
Thanks for advices.
I tried to remove 2 gears from my mini-servo and it worked, but not well enough.
I had issues with fitting the hear cover so that the mounting axle will retract enough.

I guess that results will depend on particular servo, so some of them may undergo such upgrade more easily.

Offline fiflak666

• Helpful? 0
  • My native language isn't english :P
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »
yep

result strong depends on particular servo model, but afeter a few weeks after modifing my servo my opinion is that this procedure isn't worth destroing the servo

better just buy DC motors with gearbox

Get Your Ad Here