go away spammer

Author Topic: Microcontroller chips from junk electronics  (Read 12201 times)

Offline urdedTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
Microcontroller chips from junk electronics
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
Can this chip be used to run a robot?
I am totally new to robot stuff. I have a bunch of old junk electronics that I have taken apart. I found this micro controller on one of the boards.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/2383.pdf has the info on the chip.

The specific chip is the FDIP32W (F) so it seems I should be able to erase the memory by removing the sticker over the center hole. Then be able to reprogram it.

I want to build a robot with my 7 year old son. This would be our first one. We are on a tight budget tho. So if we can find a microcontroller on one of these boards from the junk electronics, that would be great. I have lots of old electronics to choose from. So if someone knows of a common chip that I could look for that would work, I would appreciate it.

Jeremie
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:15:15 AM by urded »
noob who likes to re-use junk.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: Microcontroller chip ST M27C2001
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »
That's not a microcontroller.  It's an EPROM.

I don't mean to be brash, but not knowing the difference between the two tells me that you're at square one.

Why not follow the excellent tutorials on this site to build the $50 robot with your son?

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:29:40 AM »
I said I was a noob.
Ok, I will just have to buy the microcontroller suggested.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:34:14 AM »
urded, its a fairly common question here actually ;D

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_faq.shtml#best_microcontroller

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »
so does anybody have an answer to my second question. Are any of the useable microcontrollers for robots on consumer electronic devices. Can I find one of these in some electronics I already have and just unsolder it from the board. I have old digital cameras, fax machines, stereos, computer motherboards, peripheral cards for computers, etc. I like to reuse old junk to make it into something useable. Even if it is sometimes harder than just spending $35 to buy a new one.

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:55 AM »
I found a atmel ATF16V8B - 25PC 9529 on a soundcard from an old parallel port cd-rom drive.
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=2078
Would something like this work for a robot.

I have found the 5v regulator, LEDs, capacitors, wires, so far from the junk I have. All this 'junk' worked before I took it apart, it is just too old to be used for its original intent.

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
So it seems the chip I found is a programmable logic device
Still looking for the atmega32 chip. Any chance of finding it?

Offline javafiend

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Microcontroller chips from junk electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
An ATMega168 might run you a whole $5 tops.  I know it's not the ATmega32 you were looking for, but it is common and also can be used in the $50 robot tutorial.  You will need a programmer, which you will be able to use for nearly any project using Atmel microcontrollers.  That will run you about $35. 

I know how it is to be on a tight budget and salvaging components is a good way to offset the cost of consumables, like resistors, capacitors, etc., but there are some things that you will end up having to purchase.  In the long run, the investment will be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:31:19 AM by javafiend »

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »
Thanks for all the help so far guys. Just need to make sure I have the right shopping list so that the stuff will be here for Christmas.
I am enjoying reading the forums. After I read enough threads I may actually figure out what you guys are talking about and which parts do what. That way by the time the stuff gets here at Christmas I will actually know what I am reading when I have to follow the instructions for the $50 robot. Would not want my 7 year old to think I am totally clueless. :)

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:58 PM »
you're just like me or vice versa. whichever way it is lol. i have a coffee can full of small salvaged electronic parts. and 2 boxes of bigger stuff.  ;D
whenever you start soldering the $50 board and if you have a prob check the link in my sig. not made by me but a very awesome guide
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 0
  • total noob
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
thanks, i will take a look at it.

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
I recommend searching your junki electronics stash only for capacitors, resistors, wires, leds, ........
the chance of finding the right mcu is way to small, and even if you'll find it it'll never be in DIL package, only in SMD (except for pre 80's electronics).
And SMD isn't very easy for hobbyists, well not for noobs anyway.

the 50$ robot is the way to go! :)
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Get Your Ad Here

data_list