General Misc > Misc

My all-terrain robot (surveillance) - Ideas apreciated ;)

(1/6) > >>

jklv:
Well Im planning to build an all terrain vehicle robot with the folowing features:

-Command and control from my PC
-All terrain Wheels!!
-Camera (so i can see what the robot "sees" directly to my PC)
-Top speed: 15kmh-25kmh
-Range: 300 meters

But it may be very complicated so at first im building the vehicle, than mount the camera.

Thanks.

Edit: Discarded gas engine and tracks ;)
Keep it simple =)

-Edit:
I have finally named it! ATRCSV-1 (All Terrain Remote Controlled Surveillance Vehicle 1)

maverick monk:
im going to guess your actualy thinking of a nitro/glow fuel rc engine... NO, theres a reason you dont see many nitro powered robots..

1 nitro engines are expencive, you need a engine, and a pipe tuned specificly for the type of driving/powerband you want ($175-300)

2 slow acceleration, the beutifull thing about the electric motor is that its an on or off thing, it dosent have to reach its rpm power band nitro/glow and small gasoline engines must "spool up"

3 nitro engines need to be broken in, they must be worn in, and if not done properly, the engine wont last long

4 support equipment, you need a glow igniter/ bumpstarter/ shaft starter, a fuel bottle, fuel (nitro fuel is very expencive and a nitro engine is not very fuel efficient) oil to put in after running, oil for the filter, and a glow plug, and a infrared thermometer

5 low run times, you can expect about a 10-15 minute run time on your average rc car sized tank of gas, much less if you dont tune properly

6 MESSY, untill you have worked on a nitro, you have no clue how horable they are, in less then 3 runs they can get so bad you cant see the bolts on the thing

7loud, a electric motor is fairly silent, a nitro motor is loud as hell , also they emit enourmus heat signatures, not very stealthy/hard to track

8 the motor must be replaced periodicly ( about every 2 to 13 gallons depending on how well you treat it

9 not needed, you want controlable, there is no need for a nitro motor to reach 25kmh, my friend has a fairly basic truck that reaches 100kmh easy

if you realy want to, go for it, but its going to be alot of work to be able to say... i have a nitro robot

for power might i suggest a differential drivepowered by 2, 540 can motors (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFBH5&P=7) best high torque, high speed motor i ever used.

now, the motors by themselves will not have much torque, look online for a electric rustler or stampede transmision. this will give you a nice gearing to get you easily to 25km,

as for treads or tracks, i dont know, wheels would be the easyest. and for the transmisions, youwill need to find a way to mount the wheels to the output shafts.

my brain hurts now, im going to go rest it, might ad/edit later

jklv:

--- Quote from: maverick monk on June 29, 2007, 06:58:14 PM ---im going to guess your actualy thinking of a nitro/glow fuel rc engine... NO, theres a reason you dont see many nitro powered robots..

1 nitro engines are expencive, you need a engine, and a pipe tuned specificly for the type of driving/powerband you want ($175-300)

2 slow acceleration, the beutifull thing about the electric motor is that its an on or off thing, it dosent have to reach its rpm power band nitro/glow and small gasoline engines must "spool up"

3 nitro engines need to be broken in, they must be worn in, and if not done properly, the engine wont last long

4 support equipment, you need a glow igniter/ bumpstarter/ shaft starter, a fuel bottle, fuel (nitro fuel is very expencive and a nitro engine is not very fuel efficient) oil to put in after running, oil for the filter, and a glow plug, and a infrared thermometer

5 low run times, you can expect about a 10-15 minute run time on your average rc car sized tank of gas, much less if you dont tune properly

6 MESSY, untill you have worked on a nitro, you have no clue how horable they are, in less then 3 runs they can get so bad you cant see the bolts on the thing

7loud, a electric motor is fairly silent, a nitro motor is loud as hell , also they emit enourmus heat signatures, not very stealthy/hard to track

8 the motor must be replaced periodicly ( about every 2 to 13 gallons depending on how well you treat it

9 not needed, you want controlable, there is no need for a nitro motor to reach 25kmh, my friend has a fairly basic truck that reaches 100kmh easy

if you realy want to, go for it, but its going to be alot of work to be able to say... i have a nitro robot

for power might i suggest a differential drivepowered by 2, 540 can motors (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFBH5&P=7) best high torque, high speed motor i ever used.

now, the motors by themselves will not have much torque, look online for a electric rustler or stampede transmision. this will give you a nice gearing to get you easily to 25km,

as for treads or tracks, i dont know, wheels would be the easyest. and for the transmisions, youwill need to find a way to mount the wheels to the output shafts.

my brain hurts now, im going to go rest it, might ad/edit later

--- End quote ---
Thanks a lot!!!!
Imagine how mush $$$ i would have spent :S thanks for the advice ;)

ed1380:
what kind of terrain are you looking at?

tracks cause alot of friction.
4 wheels, bobcat style will be a little less friction
2 wheels segway style with a 3rd caster is the most efficient, but not cool looking

jklv:
lol I know x3
I think I will go for the 3rd option, however it is my first robot ;) so the main idea is to learn from it and from you guys =).
I don't mind if it looks cool or not x3 is it's functionality what really matters =D thanks.
But with 2 wheels will it be able to move trough sandy terrain, dirt, some rocks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version