go away spammer

Author Topic: Laser Pointer Tracking Sensor  (Read 1697 times)

Offline jeffneumannTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Laser Pointer Tracking Sensor
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
I was wondering if any of you know of a way to solve this problem.

heres what I need to do:
I need a sensor that can locate a laser (IR) or just a regular red/green dot and fix itself to that location.
I also would need to know how far that is from the sensor and the angle from the sensor.
The idea is that the user standing a posistion A would laser a target a posistion B. the sensor at location C would find the lasered taget at position B and measure the distance from C to B and the angle of the sensor since the sensor at B would be fixed height. it would spit out distance and angle from the fixed positon at C.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Laser Pointer Tracking Sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
For distance, you either need very expensive synchronization between A and C (to try to do phase or time-of-flight) or, more likely, triangulation.
The "easiest" way to build for a hobbyist this would be to use two cameras that are rigidly linked, looking in the same direction. Also, a CPU of some brawn (say, 700 MHz ARM or better -- Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black, etc.) Run image recognition to find the lasered dot. Measure the separation (in pixels) in the two images to calculate the distance.

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Laser Pointer Tracking Sensor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
Can you use a single camera and measure the distance using the angle between the laser and the camera?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list