go away spammer

Author Topic: Wheeled Robot Performance  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Builder1Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Wheeled Robot Performance
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »
Hello All,
I have a few questions regarding slip differentials for wheeled robots. I plan to use a motor to drive the rear wheels of my robot, which are connected via a rod. Because the wheels are connected by a rod, their rotational velocity would be the same and that would cause poor performance when turning.  At least that's how it is with cars, however since my robot is only 5 to 10 percent of an automobile in terms of size, I'm wondering if it would require slip differential gears. I have considered using two motors, one for each rear wheel but that would drive up cost and weight. What are your thoughts on that? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Builder1
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:35:35 PM by Builder1 »

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Re: Wheeled Robot Performance
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
For robots, just from my experience, i wouldn't recommend the differential system and have another motor power the steering, but use two motors and have tank-like steering ;).  As far as costs going up, just get a cheap dual H-brigde and two cheap motors, and weight :P :P.

bane
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:59:37 PM by BANE »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Wheeled Robot Performance
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
Because the wheels are connected by a rod, their rotational velocity would be the same and that would cause poor performance when turning.  At least that's how it is with cars,
Does your bot have 3 or 4 wheels?

Go here and read the 'Programming and Control' section:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_taurus2.shtml

Anyway, I think simplicity is more important than efficiency for a hobbyist robot project.

Get Your Ad Here