Author Topic: Please help me design this simple thing  (Read 2181 times)

Offline tsopatsopaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Please help me design this simple thing
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:25:28 AM »
Hello,
I am a college student majoring on telecommunication. I have to build a simple robot for some experiments I am doing on my graduation research. Yet, I have never build a robot in my life. I draw a draft on how would my robot look like. (Please check out the attached file).
I have tried to build it for like 5 months now but I couldn't.   
Could you please help me build it?
And could you please give me a list of ALL stuffs I have to buy and where to buy them??
Or could you at least tell me where should I start or what should I do first??
Looking forward for your replies. :D
Tsopa.(Japan)

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Re: Please help me design this simple thing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:51 AM »
Hello.

What complications have you had during the 5 months that you've been building your bot? Have you had any success?

I like that you've got a drawing of what your robot is supposed to do but it could use a lot more detail. Is it supposed to be an autonomous drill?  How big do you expect it to be.
And could you please give me a list of ALL stuffs I have to buy and where to buy them??
The only way some is going to be able to do that is if they have built this thing already and are giving you a list of the parts they used.

Or could you at least tell me where should I start or what should I do first??

The first thing you need to do is make a list of the requirements for your robot and write them down. List all the tasks you expect the robot to be able to complete. Give this part a lot of thought. After you have a list of what you want the robot to do figure out what it will take to complete each task. Break the robot into pieces or components. Build and test each piece then integrate them into a single robot.

There are LOTS of tutorials on this site that may help. Ask specific questions in the forums and we can provide more direct answers.

good luck
Conscripted

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
Hi,

From your sketch, it looks like a box you place somewhere and then it grinds a circular cut somewhat like a hammer drill and then keep going up and down with nothing more to do.

Isn't it supposed to move, or is it for drilling something that passes underneath it on a conveyor belt or something?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
Wouldn't the bot have to be pretty... heavy to be able to drill into the ground (quickly)?  If it's too light when you push down it'll just lift up the bot.  Hole saws require a good amount of pressure depending on what you're drilling into.  And if you plan on drilling into soil, you'll need a different type of bit.  Think more auger type.  

Also, you can use a threaded rod connected to a servo to move the "drill" up and down.  It'd have to be a continuous turn though. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:18:26 PM by corrado33 »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Thank you guys for your advices. I ve been working on it last week and here what I got. (look at the picture)
However, I am not sure it can would work well. I have a very big problem on how to assemble it. As you can see, i have made the "cage" with aluminum and used screws to make it steady. the aluminum are badly cut. How do I fix the spring??? Any suggestions? Should I use a CAD software to design???   

Offline Kylepowers

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »
Most springs when mounted are hooked through a loop. But in your case you want to make a bowl of sorts on the aluminum to hold the bottom of the spring in place. On the top you of it that connects to the motor you would do another one pointing down. One bowl pointing towards the motor one pointing to the metal. Then keep some light pressure on the spring to just keep it in place. As for the body.  I would use a CAD program to design it.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:48:39 AM »
Hey, could you tell me more details about fixing the string on the aluminum?
What do you mean by "bowl of sorts"?
Thank you.  ;D

Offline Kylepowers

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
When im talking about a bowl i mean there is usually a indentation on the parts that make contact with the spring. These indentations on each end form a area for the spring to sit in so it will not move unless pressure is removed from it. These the look like bowels but really are just indents for the spring top and bottom to sit. This way only works if you have to pieces that will be basically flat on the top and bottom of the spring. Also you make it so that the spring is slightly compressed between the two metal plates.

Get Your Ad Here