Author Topic: Which is much better? Sharp IR or Camera?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline iamaldrinTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Which is much better? Sharp IR or Camera?
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
Which is much better for adaptive mapping? Sharp IR or Camera? The reason for the camera is that we'll be using it for picking up of objects. It will be less costly if I can also use it for adaptive mapping. Problem is, I don't know how to program it using C#.

My process is supposed to be:

1. Search for an object in the area while avoiding walls only
2. Obstacle avoidance or adaptive mapping since it has a goal ( the box where it will put the object )
3. Check battery status ( if battery is low it go to the charging area )
4. Step 1

This is my first time programming in C# and doing it for a robot.

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Which is much better? Sharp IR or Camera?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
I've never actually worked with a camera, but I have a feeling identifying WALLS would be hard.  I mean, identifying brightly colored things in front of a wall is (relatively) easy, but I don't think you'd be able to calculate distance with the camera (unless you had stereo vision).  And even then it'd be a bunch of trig to figure it out.

A sharp IR would tell you IF there is an object, and how far away it is (assuming it's in the sharp IR's range).  It's MUCH more simple. 

Offline iamaldrinTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Which is much better? Sharp IR or Camera?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
I knew it. Sharp IR is better. Another problem is, I need to detect walls and objects to avoid it. But my process at first searches for an object while avoiding walls, when the robot picked up the object, it will now avoid the walls and other objects scattered. What could be a possible way for this? Also where can I find similar codes in C++? Thank you!

data_list