Author Topic: ebook reader  (Read 4355 times)

Offline karmaxTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
ebook reader
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
hey guys...
    i want to make my own ebook reader . any help will be appericated .

Offline Tomas

• Helpful? 0
Re: ebook reader
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »
What? Ebook reader? Robot? Software? What? Sheesh

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
i dont have any idea ..tell me how can i proceed

paulstreats

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
Can you tell us a bit more about your project?

We are used to programming microcontrollers (microchips) so if its a pc based ebook viewer you want to make then you might not get a lot of help.

To be able to help we will definately need more info.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »
hi guys.. my project is to make a portable ebook reader. like made by sony and other companies.i have attached a link also for a sample ebook reader. (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/Sony_Reader_PRS-500x.jpg).so any help will be appericated.

Offline Tomas

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »
You could buy an ultraportable laptop and modify it by perhaps removing the keyboard and mounting the monitor to the chassis, and add a touchscreen to the monitor (its just a layer you put on top of the original screen, you can find these on ebay for most of the popular laptops).

Later on I would recommend you writing a more describing post. We cant read your mind.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:37:33 AM by Tomas »

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
ya know, I don't understand why e-book readers haven't been more popular. I understand some of the down falls of them, but in the end I would think that it would be cheaper for publishers to sell SD cards of books rather than paper versions which would equal more of a profit margin.
Though I wonder how many people would just buy a book and then sell copies of it to their friends like is done with software today. Ok, so I guess I answered my own question here.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »
Ehhh. They did make an eBook reader and sell books for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 01:57:27 PM »
cheaper for publishers to sell SD cards of books rather than paper versions which would equal more of a profit margin.

it would also cutdown on libary size imagin going into a libary and instead of getting a book you look through a shelf the sd card
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:40:35 PM »

I googled it after reading the first post here, but until now I never knew this stuff existed. I was thinking of ways to build one on my own only cause i thought it was an idea that no one else had yet.

Offline householdutensils

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
I use a modded HP 320LX as an e reader. The Gutenberg project has a ton of good stuff for free. Tons of E.E Smith, who is in my opinion, one of the finest scifi authors that ever lived.

The hp 320LX only cost me like $15nzd offa the NZ equivalent of Ebay, and I've only read books in the public domain, so all in all it was a good deal :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:19:38 PM by householdutensils »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I really would like a Kindle, but it won't work in Denmark AFAIK.

Too bad, since the only book I would ever need to download, is the one about hacking the Kindle, to use your own pdf-files without paying Amazon for a conversion (which wouldn't work in DK anyway). This book also tells you to use it as a generic browser etc as well, but again, you need to have coverage to use those parts.

But imagine... A few SD cards and you could have your entire library of datasheets, books etc. in a pocket when on the go :D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 02:49:51 AM »
Yes, I really would like a Kindle, but it won't work in Denmark AFAIK.

There is a convoluted way of getting your books by email so it would technically work anywhere. At some point I wanted to get one, mostly for the "geek" factor - but they refused to ship to Romania (in fact they don't ship to anywhere but USA) so I gave up. Some day I'll get myself an convertible laptop so I can read my PDF's in bed easier and still get an full computer. In my opinion that's the better way to go :)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
Some day I'll get myself an convertible laptop so I can read my PDF's in bed [...]. In my opinion that's the better way to go :)

Each to his own, but I hope your girlfriend is OK with that  ;)

What is a convertible laptop?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
I hope your girlfriend is OK with that
I'm blessed with a technically minded WIFE.

What is a convertible laptop?

An convertible laptop is a laptop that allows you to rotate it's display and set it over the keyboard (turning it into an Tablet PC). Really neat, too bad they're sooo expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_PC

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
now that is bad-a$$ and a much better route than getting a dedicated reader.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
Hi,

I'm blessed with a technically minded WIFE.

It's spelled WiFi i believe ;)

An convertible laptop is a laptop that allows you to rotate it's display and set it over the keyboard (turning it into an Tablet PC). Really neat, too bad they're sooo expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_PC

Cool :D
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
It's spelled WiFi i believe ;)
You, sir, are my hero lol

Yeah Ive been wanting to get one of those and also get a stylus. Theres some really cool things out there for this sort of thing. Like easy and portable CAD design stuff and all that jazz.
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
thanks for replying me ... but no one help told me in this reply that how will i make this.please tell me how will i procced

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
Saying "Help me build an e-book reader" is like saying "Help me build a robot" (which this site is all about) or "Help me write a program". It's not easy to help, when we don't know what it is you want.

1. Why you want to build it yourself and not just buy one, which would be easier and cheaper
2. Details about what features it should have. What screen, buttons, e-book formats etc.
3. How far in the project are you? You will learn more and get more responses if you start on your own and ask specific questions, like "what processor will be good for this", "where can I find a cheap screen" etc.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »
actually this project is given by our college .and i want to know.. i have an lcd but i dont know wht more things i need... so please help .. which proccesor is best..

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »
If this is a school project, I think that you should work it out yourself and ask specific questions here.

Take a look at the assignment. What does it say that you should do. What is the task?

You have an LCD. What LCD is that? Is it an LCD monitor? a bare LCD screen? What is the interface of the LCD?

Break the task down in small tasks. Ask yourself, what is it I have to do. The obvious ones are:

I am making an ebook reader, so I have to

1. Read the ebook file from somewhere. This can be an SD-card reader, a harddisk, a network connection, ???
2. Since I have to read the ebook, I have to display it. I have an LCD, so I have to display the text on the LCD. How do I display something on the LCD? Start by reading the datasheet for the LCD, if it's not just a simple LCD monitor. Create a small subproject that can display things on the LCD.
3. I have to browse the book, so I have to turn the pages. How do I do that? Buttons? Touch screen?

Creating an ebook reader seems like a complicated task, but many tasks seems easier, if you break them down into smaller problems. This method is called "divide and conquer" - you divide the problem into sub-problems and conquer them one by one.

If you want help, you have to start working yourself. We are not going to give you the solution on a plate, but we are happy to help you with specific questions and tasks.

Good luck.

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
Most PCs have text-to-speech applications built in.  Do some research on them, they're very interesting; you can use them to read entire word files (worst case scenario is it can only read .txt files, so you might have to save the ebook file as a .txt for the text-to-speech to read it).  Of course, this is only for a computer, if you're trying to do this with a microcontroller, I don't know what to do.

If you want an easy way to read .txt, say so.  I know how to get one set up easily.  The main drawback of my simple setup is you can't pause or rewind; once it starts talking, the only way to pause is to stop it and start from the beginning (this isn't a big deal, if it read one paragraph or one chapter at time).
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline reign16

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
Much of the renewed enthusiasm for e-books comes from a new generation of e-book reader devices because they use the E Ink technology which has been eagerly awaited, and the feature sets are much richer than devices could offer in the past. I get this info in wiki.mobileread.com, i hope it will help maybe a little bit only.. thank you!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list