go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon - Hooking up a linear actuator  (Read 4931 times)

Offline gizzerd91Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Axon - Hooking up a linear actuator
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »
I'm using a Firgelli PQ12f linear actuator for a micro robotics project. I have the linear actuator hooked up to a controller board:
http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/firgelli-pq-cib-linear-actuator-controller-datasheet.pdf
I hooked one of my Axon's servo ports to the RC plugin in the controller board, because being a beginner I really don't know which is which, and the RC plugin mentioned Hitec. I'm not sure that that's the right plugin to make it work. Here's a link to the servo:
http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/pq-12-datasheet.pdf
Where should I plug everything in, and once I do, how do you program a 'duty cycle' like it says in the controller chip docs?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Axon - Hooking up a linear actuator
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:43:48 PM »
For the Firgelli controller, the simplest way is to use the RC Servo Interface Mode. On the Control Interface (C3), you want to use these pins:
4 RC / Hobby Servo input signal
5 Ground
6 +5 Vdc power

On the Axon, just choose any digital port. Connect the servo signal pin on the Axon to pin 4 on the Firgelli board.

The Firgelli board requires regulated 5V, so pin 5 and 6 connects to ground and power on the regulated 5V analog power bus on the Axon.

J2, labeled BATTERY on the Firgelli board, connects to ground and power on the unregulated power bus on the Axon (where servos normally connect).

Word of caution:
The linear actuator you are using requires 5V on the datasheet, so I don't know what will happen if you use another voltage (it doesn't say). You have three options:
1) What I said above
2) You can either use an external 4.8V battery (keep grounds common!)
3) Use the regulated 5V to power the actuator, as the Axon can supply up to 1.5A and has thermal shutdown protection

Offline gizzerd91Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »
How do I program an RC output signal? Is that the same as a typical servo? and when it says 1.75 ms does that mean that I program in 175 or 17.5 of 1750?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »
As far as the code goes, pretend that it's a servo. Just use my servo code and you'll be fine.

and when it says 1.75 ms does that mean that I program in 175 or 17.5 of 1750?
nope.
Just start with the values in my demo code and see what happens. Also see the comments in my servo code.

btw I saw you double posted - bad gizzerd91! :P

Get Your Ad Here