go away spammer

Author Topic: Distance measuring sensor GP2Y0A700K0F  (Read 7380 times)

Offline tobee11Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Distance measuring sensor GP2Y0A700K0F
« on: September 15, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
Hello,

I have an application which requires continuous distance measurement. It seems that the Sharp GP2Y0A700K0F sensor would be a good fit for me. I was wondering if someone could help me out with the implementation of this component in my application. I plan on purchasing the sensor and then what? Will I also need a controller of some kind? My plan is to have the sensor attached to a fixed position with a reflector attached to a slow moving object. My goal is to dynamically measure the distance between the sensor and reflector and to have the output displayed on my computer.

Thank you very much.

Tobee11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Distance measuring sensor GP2Y0A700K0F
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 05:35:48 PM »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 06:34:33 PM »
Thanks very much Admin. I learned a lot from the tutorial. I was planning on purchasing the GP2Y0A700K0F sensor from digikey.com. Is this a good supplier and would everything come with the sensor that I would need to connect to a computer? Any other components I might need?

I appreciate your help.

Tobee11

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Tobee11... Digikey is a very reputable supplier.  Please note that you will need a connector cable and a microcontroller.  You can't connect this to a computer directly.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:38:14 PM »
be wary of digikey's very high shipping costs . . . check here if you want to look around for other places that sell it:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_parts_list_sensors.shtml

as Steve Joblin said, you will need a microcontroller to use your Sharp IR rangefinder.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/microcontroller_tutorial.shtml

You can buy one from here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_parts_list_microcontrollers.shtml

Or make one from here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
Thank you Admin and Steve Joblin for the very helpful information. I read through the tutorials and "where to buy" list and am still a little confused - owing to the fact that I fall well short of being an engineer of anything. I hope this is isnt asking too much but I was hoping you could recommend a particular microcontroller for my application. I would like to use an IR sensor with a minimum max range of 150cm to measure distance to a slow moving object continuously. My ideal scenario would be to attach the sensor/MCU/cable to a digital display so that the distance to the moving object could be read and interpreted. This will make up one component of a larger project I am working on.

Thanks again. This is a really informative and useful forum.

Regards,

Tobee11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 08:12:30 AM »
Although I havent used it myself, many people have recommended the Arduino. Just search for it.

It can handle everything you need.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
Hi again  ;D,

I ordered and received my Sharp IR Distance Measurement sensor and the Arduino Board. The Arduino board came unassembled and I have no idea how to assemble (). Is assembling this in such a way so that it will work with my distance measurement sensor something relatively non-technical that I could handle with a little studying/help from friends  ;) (wink wink)? I asked the company I purchased the Arduino from if they would be able to supply a assembled version which would work out-of-box for my application but havent received a response.

Thanks very much again for your help.

Regards,

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 08:08:30 PM »
Sorry Tobee11 for not seing your earlier post... there are several aspects that you needed to consider in selecting a microcontrolller... of which the programming language is probably the biggest... Do you know how to program?  If not, I would suggest a Parallax Basic Stamp or a PICAXE as they are very easy to use, have lots of tutorials and support and are not that expensive.

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:24:49 PM »
You just have to solder it together.
Look for some solder tutorials on the net, practice a little, and solder that arduino ! :)

pretty easy if you're handy...
The you'll be able to program the microcontroller on the arduino board using your PC, you can program it to do whatever you want, including distance measurements as you want.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Get Your Ad Here