Author Topic: AVRcam or CMUcam?  (Read 7270 times)

Offline badshot359Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
AVRcam or CMUcam?
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »
i need help figuring out whether an AVR or CMU camera is better to use with a Basic Stamp 2 for obstacle avoidance and color tracking. i need help because both are ''expensive'', i need to know which is more effective at this before purchase.  !HELP! ???

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
Re: AVRcam or CMUcam?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »
a much less expensive approach is to use a wireless camera and a wireless serial link (via bluetooth or XBee or similar) along with RoboRealm.  RoboRealm is free vision processing software that runs on your PC.  Your PC can do all the analysis and simply send simple serial commnands to your robot.

Offline Fredrik Andersson

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 08:00:35 AM »
a much less expensive approach is to use a wireless camera and a wireless serial link (via bluetooth or XBee or similar) along with RoboRealm.  RoboRealm is free vision processing software that runs on your PC.  Your PC can do all the analysis and simply send simple serial commnands to your robot.

Thats an interesting approach. It would even be able to provide better results, much better. Unfortunately, it isn't as mobile. You need to have your computer near the robot or at least a laptop with you. If you choose the "normal" approach i would choose the AVRcam. Maybe thats just because I'm such an fan of open source, but seriously, the CMUcam have been stated pretty poor, at least the CMUcam 1 (the latter versions looks really awesome though).
Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:23:07 AM »
thanks, but roboorealm isn't really an option for me because i can't have a computer constantly with me.
the robot needs to be fully autonomous. i think i'll go with the AVRcam.
do you know anywhere else they sell it other than http://www.jrobot.net/Shop/ the kit i saw doesn't come with a camera
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:35:11 AM by badshot359 »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
-i wish the AVRcam came assembled, my soldering skills are a little lax at times :'(
-i get a shakey hand
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:35:44 AM by badshot359 »

Offline Fredrik Andersson

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
It does come with a camera module. They sell one kit with it and one without it.

Think of the soldering as if it will be a great experience for the future ;)
Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
thanks i'l do that :D

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:06:46 PM »

Thats an interesting approach. It would even be able to provide better results, much better. Unfortunately, it isn't as mobile. You need to have your computer near the robot or at least a laptop with you. If you choose the "normal" approach i would choose the AVRcam. Maybe thats just because I'm such an fan of open source, but seriously, the CMUcam have been stated pretty poor, at least the CMUcam 1 (the latter versions looks really awesome though).
i thought the CMUcam 2 was also open source

Offline Mega

• Helpful? 0
    • MegaBot Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »
i thought the CMUcam 2 was also open source
Correct!
Visit my robotics blog at http://megabotblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mega

• Helpful? 0
    • MegaBot Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 02:17:22 AM »
I think the Charlie robot uses the AVRcam, see http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=2633.0
Maybe Frank, the builder of Charlie can provide more info on using the AVRcam.
Visit my robotics blog at http://megabotblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:46:40 AM »
can you interface AVR cameras directly with the $50 robot microcontroller? If so how would you connect it?
Robots are awesome!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »
can you interface AVR cameras directly with the $50 robot microcontroller? If so how would you connect it?
Yeap, you can. You just use the UART.

I plan to get the $50 Robot to use the CMUcam in the next few months . . .

Offline bietz

• Helpful? 0
    • My projects
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »
The CMUcam 3 looks very cool and powerful. It's all open source (whereas the former ones weren't), it's got an sd card on it to store pictures, and you can plug in servos directly on the CMUcam and program a robot with its powerful chip.

I don't think it would be convenient as far as price is concerned, but for me, that's probably what I would and will get, since it also seems to be manufactured by lextronic in France (where I live), so I wouldn't have to pay the usual 50-100$ shipping and all the additional taxes...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list