Author Topic: New guy needing information  (Read 7892 times)

Offline jah1282Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
New guy needing information
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:00:59 PM »
I'm very new to robot building and have purchased some parts in the hopes of putting a robot together.  Unfortunatly I'm unable to understand how to put the parts together and the instructions are not clear to me.  I'm having trouble with:
HFS-04MG mirco 4 channel FM
    *Where do I plug the power cord in?
    *What goes into the "B/CH4" slot?

"C-25 Controller" electronic speed controler:
    *Is there some examples on the internet that show how this is used?
    *This comes with instructions but I'm too new to understand them.  Where can I get some help on using this item?

"Transmitter"
    *On the back on my transmitter there are numbers 1-8, each with a switch with can be moved up to the "on" position or down.  What does this do?  Where can I find information on how to use this?

Obviously I need help.  I've read most of the information on the "Society of Robots" web site but didn't find the answers I'm seeking above.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
Re: New guy needing information
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »
For some answers to your receiver questions, go to Hitec’s support page in the link below, and click the FAQ button (turn off your popup blocker first).
http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/nsupport_SFS.htm
Your C-25 motor speed control will connect to it’s own battery of 5-8 cells (9.6V) - (red lead to + and black lead to -); To the motor you’re driving (white lead to motor + and blue lead to motor -); And to a servo slot on your receiver (black plug with twisted wires). The largest motor you can control with a C-25 is a “Speed 500”.
What model transmitter do you have? Some Hitec/JR models have a variable rate control switch (fast/slow) for each channel – this is probably what you’re looking at. Some other brands have multi-frequency capability – but I’ve never heard of one with 8 dip switches.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 09:45:16 AM »
*Where do I plug the power cord in?
*What goes into the "B/CH4" slot?
RC equipment has been designed to be fool proof, so if you plug it in the wrong way nothing will fry. The B stands for battery. The reason why it also allows CH4 (channel 4) is if you use a Y harness you can add a battery and a servo in the same slot in any slot.

The C-25 controller is basically an H-bridge that operates by an RC signal. Plug one wire into the reciever, two onto the battery leads, and two on the motor leads - and wallah its controllable by your transmitter. I was thinking about getting one of those speed controllers for myself just a few days ago . . . I think Ill add them to the remote control robot tutorial now . . .

The transmitter manual that Militoy gave you should help you with your last question.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:30:03 PM »
Thanks for the great info so far. 
The remote transmitter that I have came from a helicopter that I purchased and then proceded to crash.  The name on it is "Walkera"  I don't see any other identifying info except for this:  "FCC ID: RXL WKMH04" and "PL0824-07Q". 
Jeff

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 09:43:32 PM »
The Walkera brand transmitter (Model 35?) does have 10 rate control/function switches on the back. Their functions are:
1.   Elevator
2.   Aileron
3.   Throttle
4.   Rudder
5.   Helicopter/Acrobatic
6.   Tail
7.   CCPM/Normal
8.   Unlock/Lock
9.   Pit
10.   Gear
Each of these switches change the way certain controls on the transmitter respond to your hand movements on the actuators. I would hookup your servos to your receiver, and experiment with each control that corresponds to a servo slot you have filled up. You will find your own preference for the best way to set each active switch. And remember, like it says in the Walkera Manual:
“Alarm: it is danger when battery is abnormity fever or breaking”!

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 08:26:02 PM »
I purchased the "Jameco ReliaPro 151440 69rpm gear motor" to work with the C"-25 Mini ESC speed control.  I'm having no luck in hooking these two along with the HFS-04MG RX Hitec receiver together. 

Does this motor go with this setup?

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 08:29:14 AM »
That motor is so small (0.275A draw @ full load), that using the C-25 controller would be overkill. The C-25 is rated for motors up to 25A load current (about 100 times what you need). It’s also designed for use with brush-type motors, as opposed to the little PM motors. I believe you should just be able to connect your motor directly to the receiver, like you would a servo, and skip the controller – any good hobby shop should be able to sell you a plug and cable for a buck or two.

For your reference, here’s a link to the C-25 manual:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm2025-2035-2055-manual.pdf

And to the specs on the motor:
http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/151440.pdf
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:32:31 AM by Militoy »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:46 AM »
I believe you should just be able to connect your motor directly to the receiver, like you would a servo, and skip the controller
This wont work because the reciever sends out ground, power, and a control PWM that only servos can use. What this speed controller does is convert the control PWM into something a dc motor can run off of.

This guy is less overkill, at 7amps and $21.
http://www.servocity.com/html/c-7_speed_control.html
You can always use it for future robots, so I think its a good deal, despite the overkill.

I looked up the motor stats here:
http://www.robotstore.com/store/product.asp?pid=806&catid=1565
Current @ max. efficiency (under load): 275mA
So that isnt full load, that is suggested load for peak efficiency . . . if you require high torque, expect perhaps 500mA . . .

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:57:49 PM »
This wont work because the reciever sends out ground, power, and a control PWM that only servos can use.

Uhh... Of course Admin is correct - my brain kind of got fixed on your power requirement, and skipped over the control issue. I could try to blame it on the fact that I don't usually use commercial R/C receivers - but in fact I am using one as a temporary E-Stop on our robot right now. Please excuse the slip, and I'll blame it on fatigue. I am working on some tiny H-bridges next week, that may lend themselves to itty-bitty-motor control when hooked up to a 1mS-2mS PWM control, as in your receiver. If I come up with anything useful for R/C application, I will post a link to this board.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list