Author Topic: Increase Max. Discharge rate?  (Read 7899 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
Increase Max. Discharge rate?
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »
Okay, I now have two 9.6V 10Amp hour battery packs for my project. I intend to use a parallel adapter to increase Amp hour rating to 20 Amp hours. Now, does wiring battery packs in parallel also increase the max discharge rate? Or does the max discharge rate always stay the same depending on what cell you're using?

If the cells in these two battery packs have a 10 Amp hour discharge rate, would wiring the batteries in parallel also increase that to 20 amp hours, or am I stuck with 10?

Thanks.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Increase Max. Discharge rate?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:50:26 PM »
does wiring battery packs in parallel also increase the max discharge rate?
One pack gives 10A, or two in parallel gives a total 20A.

If they were in series, then it would still be 10A.

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »
Do you mean Amp hours or discharge rate? (or both?) I know wiring them in parallel increases amp hours but does it also increase maximum discharge rate?
I have two battery packs made from Nihm cells. Each cell supplies 10 amp hours. Each pack has these cells wired in series. The cells have a discharge rate of 10Amps. So if my robot's motors run on those batteries, the safest amount of current they could draw to preserve the battery life is 10 amps (5 Amps each motor).

So, just so I know I understood you right, your confirming that I can wire the packs in parallel and not only will it increase the maximum amp hours, but also increase the maximum discharge rate for the battery pack, even though the individual cells have a discharge rate of 10Amps. Therefore, if I wired the packs in parallel, the most current I could draw before I started to damage the batteries is doubled, right? (20 Amps). Not just the amp hours?
Thank you.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
Yes.

When you put two batteries in parallel, you double the current ratings (both mAh and discharge rate). When put in series you double the voltage, but current ratings remain the same.

Just make sure you use wiring twice as thick ;)

Get Your Ad Here