Author Topic: Modifying servos  (Read 1917 times)

Offline pedromatiasTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Modifying servos
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
I'm a 15 year old non-native English speaker trying to build the 50 dollar robot. I already have all the required pieces except the photoresistors and the 371 hole pc board, because I can't buy them from radioshack because my country is out of their delivery range and I'm trying to find a cheap alternative. I also have the Pocket AVR Programmer, because the dongle is no longer for sale. I'm in the beginning, and the only thing I did up to this point are the cardboard wheels. Now, it tells me to modify the servos. I read the tutorial, but I don't know how I'm supposed to upload the .hex file to the microcontroller and then use it to control the servo. I read a question here that said I might need the board. Is that so? Anyways, I don't know how to upload a file to a microcontroller, or how to connect the microcontroller to the servo. I googled it and searched for videos on youtube, but I found nothing. Can somebody help me? Sorry for bad english

Offline DiegoChavez

• Helpful? 0
Re: Modifying servos
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
Welcome to my world dude, I am a 13 year old maker from Guatemala and I too don't have radio shack or amazon. I would go for an Arduino micro controller, they are not the cheapest but there are a lot of tutorials out there on how to use them. Make a quick search on Google, let me know if you need more help cause I am more than willing to help you with the coding and design of the robot.

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
You probably want to use avrdude for downloading the .hex file to the AVR chip https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/download

You might be able to use the Atmel Studio (a free download), but I have not tried that with a raw .hex file.

The $50 robot tutorial should show how to hook things up if you read all the way through.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Offline pedromatiasTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
http://www.motorrad-testbericht.at/magazin/suzuki/naked/sv650/suzuki_sv650_2.jpg
Welcome to my world dude, I am a 13 year old maker from Guatemala and I too don't have radio shack or amazon. I would go for an Arduino micro controller, they are not the cheapest but there are a lot of tutorials out there on how to use them. Make a quick search on Google, let me know if you need more help cause I am more than willing to help you with the coding and design of the robot.
I know what a arduino is, I just don't have enough money for it :'( . The only resources I have available to me are: my Dell laptop running Xubuntu, my mom's toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 and the pieces I mentioned on my original post. I know how to code (a bit), but it's mostly web design (HTML/CSS, which is just markup and pretty fonts, and I'm thinking about learning Python). How did you teach yourself to code robots? That's mostly C or C++ right? I don't see many good resources for beginners out there for those languages. I'm thinking about buying a raspberry pi, because you can use Python for that and that's much easier for a noob like me. Plus it's cheaper than a Arduino.  ;).
You probably want to use avrdude for downloading the .hex file to the AVR chip https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/download

You might be able to use the Atmel Studio (a free download), but I have not tried that with a raw .hex file.

The $50 robot tutorial should show how to hook things up if you read all the way through.
I'm going to try it with the atmel studio.

Offline DiegoChavez

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
It wasn't hard, just try fail repeat. If you seriously got stuck in something Google it. You can also read some books of the internet on how to learn the program that you want to learn. And yes a raspberry pie is a good option, I haven't had the time (or money) to get my hands on one but I have seen some pretty sick things that people do with it. I would recomend to see YouTube how-to videos, and go to www.instructables.com and search for projects.

Get Your Ad Here