go away spammer

Author Topic: Need simple robot Tutorials, ideas and how to build it !  (Read 11410 times)

Offline ArylicTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need simple robot Tutorials, ideas and how to build it !
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
Hello. My name is Arylic and i am a very big fan of robotics and electrical stuff. Since 2nd grade i was fascinated by the wonders of robotics but never had a chance to build one because there was no one to teach me or any simple source of instruction. I searched the web and found this website and its awesome i have learned a lot but still can not understand the circuitry parts. so i was wondering if you guys could help me with a simple robot idea or a tutorial or tell me anything i could build or give me tips so that i could build a simple robot and work my self up.

Even the $50 robot seem way hard for me cause i am like zero at this thing.

So please i really need your help.

Thanks in advance.
Arylic. ??? 

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: Need simple robot Tutorials, ideas and how to build it !
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »
50 dollar robot says everything step by step. It is really easy , just give it a try
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
i all ready tried but i got all lost. I need a easy one to start with. I am not even a beginner. i am need simple projects please. which does not require any complicated circuits.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »
a book...electronics for dummies maybe

Offline ankitk

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
how old are you?
dont mind me asking.

Offline want2learn

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
If the $50 tutorial was too complex, perhaps you should start with the basics:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/starting-out.htm

You need to go about quarter of the way down the page before you'll come across links to the pages you need. I've never actually read this site, it's just a google hit for this post, sorry if it's crap.
Google for some basic electronic tutorials yourself and learn what you can.
If you have little soldering experience i'd recommend looking for some soldering tutorials too (videos if you can find them) and getting a small veroboard and a couple of cheap components (say resistors) and practicing with them till you can produce a clean joint every time.
A good foundation makes a good building. I know this will seem like the long way round to making a robot but you really have to learn what your arms and legs are for before you can even crawl.
Your post just sounds like you are trying to run.

EDIT:-  Don't know what Americans call veroboard, I think it's stripboard??
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:07:58 PM by want2learn »
The question that drives me hazy:

Am I, or the others crazy?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »
Well, i am not willing to give any personal information sorry.

I am well good at electronics and i know the basics but i just don't seem to get around with microcontrollers and any thing related to it.   ???

Offline robotron

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »
I think you should start learn how to control motor first! ;)

Offline want2learn

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »

I am well good at electronics and i know the basics but i just don't seem to get around with microcontrollers and any thing related to it.   ???

As you seem to think you're up to the electronics I'd now suggest actually buying a microcontroller and playing around with it. This is the best way to learn. It's how I'm teaching myself C (although i built my own augment board)
Depending on your budget I'd say buy one of the following:
1. Buy an arduino or one of it's derivatives. These are a good start for many uController projects but need modification for robotics uses.
2. Buy AIRMAN00's Roboduino, this is essentailly an arduino already modified for use in robotics. It's 100% compatable with arduino programmes. ( correct me if i'm wrong Airman00)
3. Buy ADMINS  Axon. This is a uController you'll take a long time to grow out of. There's a lot of tutorials being written for this but i think they may be above your scope at this point. ( correct me if im wrong Admin)

You may also need to buy a programmer too, I don't know. I just made my own as the laptop i use to learn how to program and to program my uC's doesn't have usb.

You can also build a robot quite easily without a uC.
This one shows you how to freeform a microcore and motor driver step by step with photo's
http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Microcore_Walker_Tutorial
This one shows you the basic body layout and gives points on the mechanics like balancing, contact points etc.
http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Andrew_Miller%27s_2-Motor_Walker_Tutorial
Just don't expect this one to be able to do the stuff a uC based robot can do
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:24:41 AM by want2learn »
The question that drives me hazy:

Am I, or the others crazy?

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
2. Buy AIRMAN00's Roboduino, this is essentailly an arduino already modified for use in robotics. It's 100% compatable with arduino programmes. ( correct me if i'm wrong Airman00)

Correct , its 100% compatible with the Arduino progamming language and the Arduino programming enviornment. The Roboduino is also 100% plug and play - on the arduino you have to make extra boards to connect to the Arduino just to use you servos and sensors.
Heres a sample biped with the Roboduino on it :

Notice how the servos plug straight into the microcontroller- on the Arduino this is not possible
More info here: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

3. Buy ADMINS  Axon. This is a uController you'll take a long time to grow out of. There's a lot of tutorials being written for this but i think they may be above your scope at this point. ( correct me if im wrong Admin)
The axon is one of the best microcontrollers out there. It has tons and tons of pins which makes it perfect for large projects. The only downside is the price. For robots that are not too complex it is way overkill. I personally only use the Axon on projects that have 10+ sensors and 6+ servos. For the others I use the Roboduino.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline I LIKE PI

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
If you have some money, try the BOE-Bot kit from Parallax to get started. It is on the expensive side, costing ~150 dollars, but it is a great kit to get started on.

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
If you have some money, try the BOE-Bot kit from Parallax to get started. It is on the expensive side, costing ~150 dollars, but it is a great kit to get started on.

I agree, this was my first robot.  Not only does it show you how to use electrical circuits for robots, it teaches you how to program (which is often the most important part of robotics, in my opinion).  It's price is inconsistent though, check eBay for some (I got mine there for way less than ~$150).
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 03:09:24 AM »
There's a lot of tutorials being written for this but i think they may be above your scope at this point. ( correct me if im wrong Admin)
Well, in theory, I try to make it so simple you don't even need a tutorial :P
(yet still give the option for experts to hack into it)

The $50 Robot is definitely not the easiest way to have a robot, but its the easiest way to learn how to make them. If you aren't ready, a kit would be easier. Kits are mostly already done for you, just solder and use a screw driver, and you've finished most of it. It'll give you a basic feel and more importantly confidence. You'll probably say after you finish, 'thats it? that was easy! why was i so afraid before?'

Offline king28

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »
hello every one, I am new in Robotic, i am going to do my final project, the tittle is Balancing Robot by PID.
I know that it can stimulate by using MATLAB, may i know whether it can program  by other software like Visual basic andC++ or not?

Thank You.

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:24 AM »
If you are absolutely new to robotics, try out some BEAM stuff, or even get a robot kit from parallax, start from there then work your way towards designing your own simple robot.
Kurt

Offline horo333

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:02 AM »
noooo, not "THE BEAM" :-[ :-X :-[, it's is NOT ok, just buy servos and stuff
like robots, not u

Get Your Ad Here