Author Topic: autofocus hacking  (Read 1840 times)

Offline raven007Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
autofocus hacking
« on: October 06, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »
I got a small project involving a modified webcam + camcorder optics for a PC controlled animatronic. Currently I am using a pretty much hacked together proof of concept interface to run the focus and zoom motors ( h bridges + BOE through serial port). I would REALLY like to get the autofocus functioning. The optical module uses an IR active autofocus. Typical mechanical coupled tilting lens setup. Uses an AN6954S controller chip.

I have attempted powering it as in the camera but i think it is looking for some signal from elsewhere in the camera. Without a datasheet on this chip I have little hope of using it. I do not have the rest of the camera to attempt to figure out the missing signal either.

The system appears to use an IR led to emit a focused beam. This beam is then sensed by the tilting sensor mechanism and projected on what i assume to be a tiny linear ccd or IR sensor array. My self deduced theory is via triangulation it runs the autofocus motor back and forth (moving the focus lens as well as tilting the sensors lens) to keep the dot created by the IR beam centered on the sensor. If I could determine the pinout of the sensor i could then write a small program for a PIC to control the auto focus pretty easily, atleast well enough for what i want...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Offline raven007Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: autofocus hacking
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »
on a whim i supplied power to the AF-cont pins, and zoom pins and everything including autofocus now works! Very interesting. This is the optical module as used in the big RCA vhs camcorders.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list