go away spammer

Author Topic: SoR annoucement: microcontroller product  (Read 84202 times)

Offline 555 timer chip guy

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots and Circuits
Re: SoR annoucement: microcontroller product
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2008, 06:55:33 PM »
what kind of math can it do because I would need it to do stuff like cos sin acos ....... that is my only concern it has plenty of every thing els.

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2008, 06:56:13 AM »
It's pretty powerfull, Admin said howmany MIPS in the beginning of this post.
(check wikipedia/google if you're unfamiliar with MIPS)
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

paulstreats

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
The mcu's arent limited in their calculations. Its the c compilers that are responsible for making the math calculations perform correctly.

Realistically any mcu can do cos acos etc calculations but not very fast, the compiler can even have an impact over calculation speed.

See this website http://www.xargs.com/pic/picc18-vs-c18.html right at the bottom it compares 2 different C compilers for pic18's.

It basically looks at how many lines of assembly a few floating point calculations in c produces. 1 of the compilers produces 137% more assembly for the same floating calculations meaning that it takes around 137% longer to do the same calculation so its not always about the speed of the controller, but the quality of the code compiler aswell.

Offline 555 timer chip guy

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots and Circuits
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
ooowww thanks :D

Offline scrvtch

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
Oooh, I'm really looking forward to the blackfin camera integration. (And just about everything else you've mentioned.)

It would awesome if you could include documentation/instructions on how to use it with the iRobot Create in place of the command module. (Serial commands, using the battery to power the controller, etc.) I really like the create but I'm not too sure if I'll be able to figure out which pins go where, how to get the right battery voltage, and how to actually program the Axon to communicate with the create on my own. A tutorial, or possibly some internal functions for using the create, would be really helpful.

How many Axons are you planning on manufacturing for the first batch? (And are they all already reserved with the 20% off thing you were talking about earlier?) I'll definitely be interested in buying one when they're available.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2008, 07:33:55 PM »
Ahhh now I see what you wanted that 3D rendering software for...looks pretty sweet Admin, I might have to get one and take it for a spin
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
Ahhh now I see what you wanted that 3D rendering software for...looks pretty sweet Admin, I might have to get one and take it for a spin

see you're back Brandon,

welcome!
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »
Yeah, I can only glance at the forum every now and then because as soon as high school starts up my free time quickly disappears, the only way I'm posting now is because I'm on spring break!! So I'll do as much posting as possible then I'm gone till June :(
(sorry for getting off topic)
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2008, 09:22:36 PM »
And a side note . . . I'm working with Surveyor Corp to integrate their robot camera with the Axon - that means you can have advanced robot vision by calling just one or two lines of code. I hope you like

Do you mean incorporated code wise, or it is included with the microcontroller?
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »
Do you mean incorporated code wise, or it is included with the microcontroller?
I think its obvious what I meant ;)

Incorporated code wise, support wise, and tutorial wise. I was actually writing the tutorial yesterday and today for it.

I just got an update from the manufacturer . . . they said it should be shipped back from China by Friday . . . meaning I'll probably get the prototypes a week after that. Considering this major delay, I don't think I'll start selling it untill mid-May now . . . Its entirely out of my control :-\

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline skatj

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
Admin, how does your microcontroller compare with the Parallax Propeller? http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx

I'm scouting a new microcontroller for an AUV project and i'm trying to decide between this one and the Propeller.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »
New update . . . so I got my pre-manufacturing boards in a few days ago. The manufacturer made some mistakes, got the LED's backwards, forgot to not use lead for RoHS, etc . . . and I found another bug that I haven't figured out yet. I may need to do yet another prototyping run, depending.

Basically, I doubt I can get the boards up for sale before May. Hey, its my first product release, I'm still a noob at this! :P

Also, I'm debating raising the price a bit - I am going to promise personal full on-time support to all customers. This will take a lot of my time, so I need some comp for it. I have also already developed tons of source code . . . probably $125 or $130.

I'm about 2/3rds finished integrating easy to use robot camera source code.

What about this camera? http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/robot-parts/microcontrollers/pob-technology-microcontroller-en/pob-technology-pob-eye.html
The Blackfin is cheaper and has way more features.

Admin, how does your microcontroller compare with the Parallax Propeller? http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx
The propellor is just a chip and doesn't come with required supporting hardware. Also, my Axon has waaaaay more features and capability - the propellor doesn't even come close!

Offline scrvtch

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »
Too bad about the manufacturing errors; I'm sure nobody has a problem with waiting until everything is worked out.  :P

I do have a quick question about the servo control features. I was reading up about the SSC-32 by lynxmotion (http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=395&CategoryID=52) and was really impressed by the features they offer for simple speed/timing control as well as synchronized group movements. (Where individual servo speeds are automatically altered so that they start and stop at the same time.)

How exactly are the 40 available servo channels ( :o) controlled and will the Axon offer similar features for group movements, etc?

Thanks!

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »
How exactly are the 40 available servo channels ( :o ) controlled and will the Axon offer similar features for group movements, etc?
Servos can be controlled any way you like with the Axon - its 100% open source ;)

One at a time, all at once, etc. I have written source code and examples for both. Check out my latest ERP robot video for a demonstration of servo control with the Axon:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_ERP.shtml

Offline scrvtch

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2008, 09:57:23 PM »
How exactly are the 40 available servo channels ( :o ) controlled and will the Axon offer similar features for group movements, etc?
Servos can be controlled any way you like with the Axon - its 100% open source ;)

One at a time, all at once, etc. I have written source code and examples for both. Check out my latest ERP robot video for a demonstration of servo control with the Axon:
I looked at your videos of the ERP awhile back and was very impressed.

Will there be included functions for changing the speed/timing of the servos as well? (I would assume that for a servo to move slower, the pulse width would need to increase gradually until reaching the desired angle.)

Offline siempre.aprendiendo

• Helpful? 0
    • Always learning
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2008, 05:59:27 AM »

Your ERP robot looks pretty interesting! Do you have "published" (or will you) the source code?

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »
This looks good, I'm thinking that I may have to find myself some money so I can get this board!
I can't wait admin, this is going to be awesome.

Also what have you decided about international shipping? I'm in australia, do you know how much extra shipping will add onto the price?

Offline skatj

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »
Admin, I'm willing to pay a premium for personal support  :P Its of course understandable considering the amt of time you've spent/will spend

I have a question though, I am a little new to electronics. I used GPS receivers, etc from Parallax and they all had source code documenting how to use it with the basic stamp. If I use this microcontroller, do I just have to sort of figure out how to program 3rd party devices in C? Im a little confused on that part.

Also, will programming be procedural or object-oriented

Offline ajax spray n wipe

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2008, 01:58:10 AM »
I've been holding back to buy an MCU and this seems to be the perfect thing for everyone. I'm from australia too so if you could please specify the total in US Dollars (or even better, aussie dollars) that it would cost me (or Awally88 and all other aussies),
Thanks

Offline ajax spray n wipe

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »
Another thing, upon looking at the atmel site, they say the 2560 has 86 I/O ports and also where will you be selling the axon from? Will it be an external site or will you be selling it from SoR?
Thanks

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »
Do you have "published" (or will you) the source code?
I've already published the ERP code I used with the $50 Robot controller. And yeap, I'll publish the Axon ERP code, too. As well as the code for the Blackfin with the Axon.

Also what have you decided about international shipping? I'm in australia, do you know how much extra shipping will add onto the price?
I'm fairly sure it will be ~$25 international shipping - fairly standard I think. But for international, it may be an additional month delay, as I want to work out the shipping kinks locally first. In the long term (~4 months from now) I'll work with international distributors to get that cost down for you guys. Which brings me to the next question . . .

where will you be selling the axon from? Will it be an external site or will you be selling it from SoR?
In the short term, I will be selling it from SoR International Headquarters (my apartment :P) from this site. In the long term, I will only be selling them through distributors (at the same price to the customer).

edit:
oops for to answer a question
I have a question though, I am a little new to electronics. I used GPS receivers, etc from Parallax and they all had source code documenting how to use it with the basic stamp. If I use this microcontroller, do I just have to sort of figure out how to program 3rd party devices in C? Im a little confused on that part.
I'll be writing code to integrate all the common/typical robot parts for the Axon (sonar, compass, camera, sharp IR, servos, LCD's, motors, etc). Otherwise for the odd/expensive stuff, I encourage open source and for everyone to share code. And if you want some serious personal support, send me the component (for free) and I'll write easy to use code for you ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:55:01 PM by Admin »

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
how many more weeks till I get my axon?  :P

i'm really looking forward to this!  ;D

www.Narobo.com

Offline skatj

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Agreed, you can count me in as a guaranteed buyer  ;D

Offline Anoroc

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »
I haven't even come close to finishing my $50 robot (waiting on parts) but I think im going to really want this. I have a robot that I want to create and, size being one of my concerns, is lifted by this cool MCU.

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
any new pics? or is it still the same as 1/2 pages ago?
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2008, 09:53:42 PM »
Prepare your drewl engines!

Two pics, the first shows the Axon after surface mounts are placed (done at the factory).

The second image is with the headers and two other large components added (by me).

I squished several bugs recently - fortunately software issues. I'm going to test the Axon on my ERP for another ~2 weeks just to make sure there aren't any other hidden bugs. I haven't yet thoroughly tested the bootloader . . . I just got the Blackfin cam tracking a blue LED with the Axon today.

The documentation still isn't complete yet, but as soon as its done I'll post the link. I'm also going to write tutorials on how to hack/mod my board to add additional features. ;D

Anyway, here is the predicted timeline:
*If* no hardware problems are found, in two weeks I'll place the order with the manufacturer and mouser.com.
Two weeks after that, I get the completed boards back.
I finish the boards, test, and program them.
A week after that, boards go on sale.
3 days later, you get your Axon in the mail.

May 16th-ish?

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »
drool.......................

can't wait for the axon!

www.Narobo.com

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2008, 10:36:22 PM »
*Changes shirt and puts on bib*

Awesome :D
I

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:31 AM »
I'll be in Canada, so no more missing on the good stuff! Keep it commin'!
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Get Your Ad Here