Author Topic: Adding external threads to clear rod  (Read 1807 times)

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Adding external threads to clear rod
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
So I need to add threads to small (1/8" diameter) acrylic rod. Easy solution is to thread it but that weakens the acrylic and causes it to become very brittle. I'm looking for something low profile that would slid over the rod and be glued in place. Then that would have the 6-32 (possible upgrade to #8 if needed) threads in it. Ideas? I've temporarily switched to using steel or brass rod to finish prototypes but I would like something in clear plastic.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline nickc

• Helpful? 0
Re: Adding external threads to clear rod
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
the threads on most clear plastics will be too brittle and break off. One a couple of small chunks are missing your nut will be stuck.  If you just need threads on the ends, one idea would be to glue the clear rod into an aluminum or brass sleeve and thread that.

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Re: Adding external threads to clear rod
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »
Hmmm... Gonna have to do some maths on that to see if the diameters work out but good idea. Weakens the tube a lot but the plastuc underneth might strengthen it enough to make it work.

I tried some rivet nuts with low profile flanges on the bottom but I end us with over 0.25" of extra hang over because the threaded part is on the top and I need the rest for a secure mounting. Looks bad to have 0.5" total taken up by the rivet nuts if the rod is only 2" long. I also want the option to go down to 0.5" total length.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list