Author Topic: Woodworking Tools??  (Read 7290 times)

Offline rabi_tagoreTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Woodworking Tools??
« on: February 24, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
Hey,
I am building a robot out of wood. Could u tell me what tools would be best to use to cut 1/4" or 1/8" wood? This is a small home project, and thus, I want to use small and easy-to-use tools.
I read that the 'jigsaw' is pretty useful. Can anyone elaborate on that? How flexible is it? Is it small enough to be used in my garage?
And also...is it easier to manipulate HDPE that it is to work with wood?(consider the fact that I am working at home)

Thanks a lot...
Waiting for ur reply.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:43:50 PM by rabi_tagore »

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Woodworking Tools??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
Is it small enough to be used in my garage?
do you even know what a jigsaw is?
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »
jig saw:

qualitatively speaking, HDPE is a little easier to cut than wood . . . but it depends on what kind of wood . . .

Offline Nyx

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:16 PM »
Hehehe. I got a jigsaw, and it looks almost exactly like the one in the pic above. It's small and easy to use. The main problem I have with it is that it's not very precise. You're holding it, so if you don't guide it perfectly straight using some kind of guide, the cut isn't gonna be perfectly straight. You also can't make perfect circles. I guess it's also a matter of practice.

Offline rabi_tagoreTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »
Is it small enough to be used in my garage?
do you even know what a jigsaw is?

lol...i meant to ask if it can be handled COMFORTABLY in my garage or in my room(still a novice!!). Thanks everyone, for the advice. I will go with the jigsaw itself. Seems to be the easiest to use(even though it's not very accurate).

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:52:55 PM »
if you have money, i recommend getting a bandsaw or a scrollsaw . . .

Offline Somchaya

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • You know it's cute!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »
Actually, I recently got a Dremel tool and found it really useful. It takes a little getting used to, but it can cut, sand and drill all in one. And, it works on a whole range of material, from wood to plastic to stainless steel (I think). I've only tried it on HDPE and plywood so far, but it cut those really well. It's not terribly accurate for straight lines and stuff though, although that may be because I lack the right attachment part, or something like that.
Somchaya - Back after a year of misc things
http://whisker.scribblewiki.com

Offline 555 timer chip guy

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots and Circuits
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 04:12:55 PM »
I would recommend a coping or fret saw they are small inexpensive and they make very persist cuts. you can get on at www.garrettwode.com for about $30.00

Offline 555 timer chip guy

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots and Circuits
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »
jig saw:

qualitatively speaking, HDPE is a little easier to cut than wood . . . but it depends on what kind of wood . . .
but remember if it is soft wood or cut thin a jigsaw will tear up the wood and not make a vary fine cut.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:45 PM »
Basically if your cutting any straight part with it, just clamp down a thick metal ruler/guide the distace from the edge of the jig saw foot to the inside of the saw blade, then just keep the jigsaw tight up against it for a surprisingly accurate cut. For circles its a little trickier, if the size of the circle doesn't really matter that much find like a circular lid thats a little smaller than what you want the circle to be, and use the above method of keeping the foot up against the guide. If you need to have it a specific diameter and cant find a lid to be a guide, use a thumbtack with a string and pencil on the other end like a big compass to draw an accurate circle, then just follow the line very slowly and it should come out pretty smooth, just sand it down. For any other squiggly line or what ever, just trace it in pencil and follow it slowly. You can get pretty good results with a jigsaw if you practice and know how to use it properly.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »
LOL, lucking for my my drafting teacher at my high school is the one helping me with all my robotic stuff, I have acces to every tool in the wood shop and even FREE wood, dont you wish you where in school :P
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »
no, because I have access to all my dad's tools(good bit of wood, metal, car tools), and pretty much all the metal and some wood i could ever want. Alot of car electric motors. and stuff like that.
But being able to do that during school hours is awesome.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
There are many wood working tools... here is a quick summary:

Table Saw - the best at making long straight cuts... probably the "safest" of all power wood cutting tools because the blade stays stationary and you move the work.

Circular Saw - portable, good for making straight cuts (but use a guide fence for accuracy and to keep it from binding)

Jig Saw (also called a saber saw) - portable, good for making curved cuts.

Band Saw - good for making curved cuts.

Compound Miter Saw (also called a chop saw) - good for making perpendicular cuts on long pieces (like molding)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
and scroll saw!

good for making cuts inside of wood and plastic without a need to cut through the side first. its also good for cutting of small curvy shapes.

Offline Boomrlargo

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 04:46:03 PM »
For the use that you mentioned, getting a small band saw would probably be your best bet.  They are fairly verstile and can be used for a large variety of woods and plastics.  Although a jigsaw will function for your uses, they tend to tear up thin wood and are notoriously inarrurate without using some type of fence.

If you do some shopping around you can find halfway decent benchtop bandsaws for $100 or less.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list