Author Topic: Hydraulic cylinder or electric actuator  (Read 3332 times)

Offline OddityTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hydraulic cylinder or electric actuator
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
Which would be easier to use to help lift the lower leg part of an exoskeletal leg? And are there any suggestions of the exact cylinder or actuator to use, I was thinking of something about the size of a tibia.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Hydraulic cylinder or electric actuator
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:52:59 PM »
Hi,

Which would be easier to use to help lift the lower leg part of an exoskeletal leg? And are there any suggestions of the exact cylinder or actuator to use, I was thinking of something about the size of a tibia.
Go with electricity (and lithium batteries). If you have to drag a complete hydraulics system around, the pros of an exo' sort of vanishes.
To get even slightly useable suggestions, you need to present a bit more data (how much force, speed, load etc. is needed).

You might wanna look at this page and you can find several research papers on the subject (like starting here or perhaps try PubMed).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline MechHead

• Helpful? 0
Re: Hydraulic cylinder or electric actuator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:29:10 PM »
I agree with Soeren that you shouldn't use hydraulics.  Using electric actuators should work, but another pneumatics would be another thing to consider.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list