Author Topic: Build a robot for class.  (Read 2181 times)

Offline GTCStudentTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Build a robot for class.
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »
Hi for my electronics class i need to build a robot that can navigate a small maze and climb over a small 2' tall wall made by layered 2x4's. It has to be completely wireless and its going to be competing so it has to be relatively quick. When climbing the wall it cannot intentionally leave a part behind such as a ramp. it can be as tall and wide as i want as long as the footprint is i believe 1'x1'. It can have other parts outside of the footprint that can touch the ground as long as they don't touch before i push/or flip the start button/switch.

We cannot use compressed air/liquid/gas.
also no rockets or explosives to launch it over .

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Build a robot for class.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
retrived bridge? lays the bridge, drives over, pulls it back onto the robot?

slinky approach, relativly tall tower of hinged blocks?

Offline parallax

• Helpful? 1
    • christopherconley.net
Re: Build a robot for class.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
So... what is it you need exactly?  :P

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but if you are looking for help, you are going to have to be more specific. You gave a great description of the requirements you have for building the robot, but none of us know what you are asking. Saying "I have a basic design that looks looks like this: <robot picture/CAD drawing/doodle on napkin> and needs to do this: <description of robot requirements>. I need suggestions for what materials I should build my robot with" or "I need help deciding what method should I use to wirelessly control my robot and these are the options I have considered" is a lot different than saying
Hi for my electronics class i need to build a robot that can navigate a small maze and climb over a small 2' tall wall made by layered 2x4's. It has to be completely wireless and its going to be competing so it has to be relatively quick. When climbing the wall it cannot intentionally leave a part behind such as a ramp. it can be as tall and wide as i want as long as the footprint is i believe 1'x1'. It can have other parts outside of the footprint that can touch the ground as long as they don't touch before i push/or flip the start button/switch.

We cannot use compressed air/liquid/gas.
also no rockets or explosives to launch it over .
and not elaborating on what you need help with. There are people that jump on here all the time posting stuff like "How do I build a robot?" Asking something as broad as that is like saying "How do I cook food?" Well, what food? How much food? What culture? What's the budget? What utensils are available? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or desert? How much time do you have? Ad infinitum. See where I'm going with this? Most of us tell them to build the $50 robot and to come back when they have a question.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an a-hole and you gave a wonderfully descriptive description of the requirements of your robot for the competition. I'm just saying you will get more help from people on this forum if you are more specific with your questions because right now no one knows what you need help with. Right guys?

So, what are your questions? Maybe we can help you to win this thing!  ;)   
"Less than a drop of blood in me remains that does not tremble;
I recognize the signals of the ancient flame"

Get Your Ad Here