go away spammer

Author Topic: Compass or Gyro  (Read 3598 times)

Offline DarkbluestarTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Compass or Gyro
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »
I am working on an omni directional robot and I am going to be using a single laser mouse placed in the exact center of the robot in order to find out the robot's x,y location. I figured that I need to know what direction I am facing and that I would need either a compass or a gyro. However, I am not exactly sure which one would be best for my application. I only need to run the robot for about 3 minutes at a time and it will hopefully be moving pretty fast.

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Compass or Gyro
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:48:04 PM »
Hi
I would recommend the compass as they are usually easier to use, and you don't need to deal with the gyros drift (a cheap gyro can drift degrees per second).
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:01:02 PM »

Offline mpuvdd

• Helpful? 0
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking-Einstein

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:21:17 PM »
The parallax one looks nice even thou I don't see the resolution anywhere...
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 12:47:15 AM »
The parallax chip looks nice but I am already using the only serial interface on my mcu. I am using the ATMEGA644. I was thinking about the acroname one because it has an I2C interface which I have room for.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 08:23:16 AM »
If you are only running it for 3 minutes than a gyro would be infinitely better (drift will be insignificant in short time spans). The problem with a compass is that motors and nearby objects affect the reading.

Are you doing a three wheel or four wheel omni robot?

Make sure your laser mouse is always perfectly flush with the ground, or it won't work.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. This is for a competition and other robots will be around so that might influence the compass. I am going to be using a four wheel, pretty much like your omni Admin, and I am going to try and put some sort of suspension on it(ME member on my team is working on it). I am planning on putting the mouse on a suspension system as well so it will always contact the ground(I'm working on that). What would be a good choice for a gyro? I am not really familiar with them and I don't really understand which one I should use. I am mostly going to use the gyro to keep the robot from rotating. I do not want the robot to rotate at all, that's why I am going to use omni wheels.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 01:31:05 PM »
I found a compass with SPI and analog interface, how does it look? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8372

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »
I found a compass with SPI and analog interface
you mean gyro? :P

do you need SPI?

what would you consider acceptable error in degrees? (you will always have error)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 02:32:22 PM »
Yes gyro sorry :D I don't need SPI, but my mcu has an SPI interface so I was just noting that. I am trying to look for as small an error as possible. I am not really sure what would be acceptable. I just need it to be accurate enough so that if my robot accidentally rotates I can compensate for that change. I need my robot to always face the same direction.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list