Author Topic: Which battey for my robot ??  (Read 9414 times)

Offline s80ts0465Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Which battey for my robot ??
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
i'll use it just to supply the regulated 12V (from 24V) to charge a battery pack.

bye

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »
That DE switching regulator can only do about 1A.

You don't want to regulate motors, they can easily handle +/- 20% voltage with zero problems.

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »
He wants to use one 12V (or 7.2V) battery to power electronics and other appendages and one 24V battery to power the motors. But he wants only one charger, the 24V battery charger. For the 12V charger (mounted on the robot) he wants to get power from the 24V charger and use the DE switching regulator to step down to 12V. The reason for all this trouble is to have the robot up and alive during charging and at least the electronics to be able to survive a motor battery low power if the robot doesn't find the charger station in time. It's like having a backup battery. I would have a relay controlled from the MCU to switch 12V to motors to get the robot to the charging station in case of primary battery fails.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline s80ts0465Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 07:24:35 AM »
He wants to use one 12V (or 7.2V) battery to power electronics and other appendages and one 24V battery to power the motors. But he wants only one charger, the 24V battery charger. For the 12V charger (mounted on the robot) he wants to get power from the 24V charger and use the DE switching regulator to step down to 12V.

YES! this is my main reason to use the DC switching. Moreover the max 1A output from the dc switching isn't a problem, considering the low current rate to use to charge a battery; for sure not more than 1A but a lot less (is it correct??)

The reason for all this trouble is to have the robot up and alive during charging and at least the electronics to be able to survive a motor battery low power if the robot doesn't find the charger station in time. It's like having a backup battery. I would have a relay controlled from the MCU to switch 12V to motors to get the robot to the charging station in case of primary battery fails.
Good idea, i haven't thought about it. I'll implement it  ;)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list