go away spammer

Author Topic: Transmitters and recivers  (Read 2903 times)

Offline you eat wafflesTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Transmitters and recivers
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
I am looking for a good starter transmitter / reciver combo that will last me a while,can control servos and is a over all good general ground robot controler. is this a good starter?http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-HRC157751.html
Thanks

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Transmitters and recivers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »
Do not buy any RC equipment at robot stores. They are very overpriced.

Check out towerhobbies.com, horizonhobby.com, and amainhobbies.com. RC sites will have the cheapest deals on RC gear.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »

Check out towerhobbies.com, horizonhobby.com, and amainhobbies.com. RC sites will have the cheapest deals on RC gear.
Thanks for the tip but, I couldnt find the one I was looking for.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
I'll second Towerhobbies.com Good service and fair prices.  Depending on what you want to do with it and what you would like to experiment with will determine how many channels you need. My opinion is that if you don't NEED a 6 or 8 channel radio then save the money. However, this is something that only you can determine.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »

Thanks for the tip but, I couldnt find the one I was looking for.
Which one are you looking for? Just a tip, stay away from Hitec radio systems. They make good servos, but are quite behind in radio systems. Spektrum, Futaba, and JR are the current big 3 out there (spektrum with their 2.4ghz technology taking the top spot).

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »
How many would I need to control a 2 motor 2 servo robot with some led lights?(For ground robots)  Could you maybe point me toward a good model? What is an average range? I wouldn't need that much range but a decent ammount would be nice. perhaps this? http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-SPM5500.html
Thanks you guys I really appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:43:41 PM by you eat waffles »

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:09 PM »
How many would I need to control a 2 motor 2 servo robot with some led lights?(For ground robots)  Could you maybe point me toward a good model? What is an average range? I wouldn't need that much range but a decent ammount would be nice.

All radios have long enough ranges, range usually isnt much of an issue until you get over one mile out.

Price range? Do you want the absolute cheapest? Do you want expensive, but good quality and will last you forever?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
How many would I need to control a 2 motor 2 servo robot with some led lights?(For ground robots)  Could you maybe point me toward a good model? What is an average range? I wouldn't need that much range but a decent ammount would be nice.

All radios have long enough ranges, range usually isnt much of an issue until you get over one mile out.

Price range? Do you want the absolute cheapest? Do you want expensive, but good quality and will last you forever?
Like $150 would be the prolly the max for a recever and a transmitter, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if there as a big difference. Is there any difference in the recievers? are some better than others?

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »
Well, you happen to be at the zone where there is a big difference  ;D

The original one you linked is basically as bare as you can get.

This one here (airtronics is not as popular but one of the oldies, been around forever) is $160, 8 channels (plenty enough for anything), and is fully programmable (in the radio sense).
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/21885/n/Airtronics-RDS8000-8-Channel-24GHz-FHSS-Radio-System-TX-RX-Only?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds

When I started out 2.5 years ago I bought a 7 channel one from spektrum, $300. If I knew about the airtronics I would have bought it. Best bang for the buck, and will last you years!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »
Well, you happen to be at the zone where there is a big difference  ;D

The original one you linked is basically as bare as you can get.

This one here (airtronics is not as popular but one of the oldies, been around forever) is $160, 8 channels (plenty enough for anything), and is fully programmable (in the radio sense).
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/21885/n/Airtronics-RDS8000-8-Channel-24GHz-FHSS-Radio-System-TX-RX-Only?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds

When I started out 2.5 years ago I bought a 7 channel one from spektrum, $300. If I knew about the airtronics I would have bought it. Best bang for the buck, and will last you years!
would that violate the fcc thing because of the frequency because I would use it for ground robots? I can use it for ground robots right? How do I hook up the reciver? (this one comes with a reciver right?) What special features does this one posses over others?

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:07:03 AM »
Since it is 2.4ghz, it can be used in both surface and air applications.

Admin has a remote controlled robot tutorial, should explain receiver connections.

The radio has all of the advanced computer radio features, but the best thing is the price - you can't get a computer radio as complicated as that for $160.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 12:17:39 AM »
I think I did watch the vid but I don't think it went into great detail onthe recievers (what do I know though lol) so what does all of this fancy computer stuff do? Is it more complex to hook up or operate?(I try would like to try and keep is semi-simple) could I as a newcomer and as someone who has never done radio control, use this? How many things can I control with it? Thanks again :)

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »
At first it looks a little daunting, but basically when you pull it out of the box, it is in the "no frills" mode and will basically act like any other "dumb" non-computer radio. Then, later on, you can read through the manual and learn which options do what. So basically it is simple, but will do more things if you want it to. The basics would be stuff like servo reversing, and things get more complicated with multi-channel mixing and curve settings (but you don't have to use it if you don't want to).

Since it is 8 channel, you have 8 servo ports to control 8 servos independently. That is pretty much the max, once you desire 10+ channels, the radios immediately jump into the $600-$2000 range (designed for model jets)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 12:25:27 AM »
Hmm I'll look into this one, what is servo reverseing (is it the same as controling?) what does the computer do? I see it has a little screen?(what for?) does it come with an 8 channel reciver? 

Get Your Ad Here