Author Topic: Info about L293 motor driver chip  (Read 4652 times)

Offline ukeshTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Info about L293 motor driver chip
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:07:48 AM »
hi!

Can some one explain the functions of the pins in the l293 driver chip?? I understand the pins 8, 16 must be connected to the vcc. pins 4, 5, 13, 12 are used to connect heat sink and Gnd. what are the functions of the rest of the pins??

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Info about L293 motor driver chip
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »
Each half of the chip is one motor controller. The EN pins are the enable pins. If you put those to high (VCC), the motor controller is enabled. If you put those low, the motor controller is disabled. There are two for both motor controllers in the L293. The A pins are the controller pins, which control if the motor is on or not. The Y pins are the pins that go to the motor.

Go to the datasheet and look at the truth table, it should show you how different settings with the A and the EN pins will drive the motors.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:31:50 AM »
Each half of the chip is one motor controller. The EN pins are the enable pins. If you put those to high (VCC), the motor controller is enabled. If you put those low, the motor controller is disabled. There are two for both motor controllers in the L293. The A pins are the controller pins, which control if the motor is on or not. The Y pins are the pins that go to the motor.

Go to the datasheet and look at the truth table, it should show you how different settings with the A and the EN pins will drive the motors.

okie.thnx!:)

im gonna start building a simple line following bot. I will be using two IR modules for sensing the lines. So i connect the left motor on to the pins 3 & 6 and the right motor to the pins 14 & 11. The left side IR output line must be connected to the pin 2 and the right side IR output line must be connected to pin 15. Is this right??

And what is the use of the other two pins 7 & 10?

Offline RoboChan

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
pins 1 to any digital pin, 2 to analog, 3 to motor, 4-5 to ground on battery, 6 to motor, 7 to analog, 8 power on battery, 16 to +5v. i think thats how you set it up. look at http://akashxav.com/2009/04/18/arduino-l293d-dc-motor/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
pins 1 to any digital pin, 2 to analog, 3 to motor, 4-5 to ground on battery, 6 to motor, 7 to analog, 8 power on battery, 16 to +5v. i think thats how you set it up. look at http://akashxav.com/2009/04/18/arduino-l293d-dc-motor/

hey nice link man! thnx:)
but im not going to use any micro controller for my bot. Im going to use just L293 chip and a couple of sensors. In the above post I've said about the connections, are they correct??

Offline RoboChan

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
get a microcontroller its much better. the arduino barebones board might work and its only $15. You can also get a kit like http://www.solarbotics.com/products/k_cmd/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
get a microcontroller its much better. the arduino barebones board might work and its only $15. You can also get a kit like http://www.solarbotics.com/products/k_cmd/

Im thinking of buying the axon mcu instead of these smaller ones. Im saving my money for it. So until then I'll have to try a micro controller less robot:)

Get Your Ad Here