go away spammer

Author Topic: Intel shows off robotic hand with "Pre Touch" object conformation  (Read 4055 times)

Offline RebelgiumTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
I found this on engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/intel-shows-off-robotic-hand-with-pre-touch-object-conformatio/

Robotics have come a long way, but they still often miss that innate, nervous sense of reluctant touch. Intel researchers have achieved something similar with a robotic hand that uses electrolocation to create a robotic hand conform to the shape of an object before interacting with it. Shown at Research@Intel Day, the hand uses fish-like electrolocation to bounce electric fields off of objects and then conform the hand to that shape in real time. They call the dynamic "Pre Touch," and it could prove useful for configuring robotics before they interact with objects without, say, damaging them or missing the interface completely. We've been aware of the technology for some time, but as you can see in the video after the break, Intel finally has something to show, and the results are what can only be described as a strangely nervous robotic hand.

[youtube]DB3pNtZvlRA[/youtube]

Looks very cool, I wonder if this would ever become available to hobyists... financiallyI mean.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: Intel shows off robotic hand with "Pre Touch" object conformation
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
I wonder if this thing would be able to grab electronics without ESD damage

Offline photray94

• Helpful? 0
  • photray94.blogspot.com
    • photray94's MySpace
Re: Intel shows off robotic hand with "Pre Touch" object conformation
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:27 AM »
Cool video!  Now, let's await the moment Intel creates a super arm to mount this super hand upon!  And then a body, etc...   :D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list