go away spammer

Author Topic: Classes  (Read 1639 times)

Offline soninja8Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Classes
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
So I just started high-school, and I was wondering what courses to take considering I want to become a sort of engineer. I plan to build robots and many other projects in my future. Every since I was little, I was interested in eletronics (computers, taking stuff apart, you know....) and now I want to really get into learning everything about them.

Thanks,
Soninja8

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Classes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
Take programming, and every math and science course you can.   :D

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
Go and take some courses in nearby community colleges too - I'm a rising senior, and I've noticed a rather annoying lack of (CS/EE/Physics) courses in high schools.

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I also really recommend that you take a look at university entrance requirements for some university's near you.  They'll probably have a list of upper-level high school courses that you MUST take if you want to go into a given engineering stream.  If you're just starting high school, it's likely that you don't have much choice, but in the last two years or so you'll have more choice in your courses and you don't want to find out too late that you chose the wrong electives!

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I will put them to good use :)

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
Oh and the "4 years of a language" bull they feed you in high school is crap.

My college didn't care if I took ANY foreign language in school.  (At least I don't think so, I just think it was 4 wasted classes in school)

Offline BigKLaxer

• Helpful? 2
    • Power Wheels Robot Project
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
In addition to math and engineering classes, I also recommend looking into clubs and other engineering related activities.  We had a FIRST robotics team in high school and I can't even begin to explain how helpful it was to me.  As a rising Junior Engineering student, my classes still have yet to go over many of the core engineering techniques and fundamentals (team collaboration, project management, systems engineering, division of labor) that I learned in FIRST.  So I'd suggest looking to see if your high school, or any schools around you, have a FIRST team, or at if they don't, starting one or at the very least a robotics club.
Experimental Mobile Robotics Platform: http://www.udrobot.blogspot.com

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
Oh and the "4 years of a language" bull they feed you in high school is crap.

My college didn't care if I took ANY foreign language in school.  (At least I don't think so, I just think it was 4 wasted classes in school)

Ya, i dont look forward to them anyways

In addition to math and engineering classes, I also recommend looking into clubs and other engineering related activities.  We had a FIRST robotics team in high school and I can't even begin to explain how helpful it was to me.  As a rising Junior Engineering student, my classes still have yet to go over many of the core engineering techniques and fundamentals (team collaboration, project management, systems engineering, division of labor) that I learned in FIRST.  So I'd suggest looking to see if your high school, or any schools around you, have a FIRST team, or at if they don't, starting one or at the very least a robotics club.
I'll look to see if there are any clubs, I actually start high school in a month...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:05:17 PM by soninja8 »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list