go away spammer

Author Topic: gripper cliamp needed  (Read 3254 times)

Offline dmehlingTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
gripper cliamp needed
« on: July 22, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I need to implement a robotic gripper design for my project.  I would like one that functions more like a clamping mechanism in which the upper and lower "fingers" move toward each other in a linear direction as opposed to gripper fingers that rotate inward in a circular manner.  I need it to open at least 3 inches, and it needs to be not very expensive since I need three of these grippers.  Does such a product exists.  If not, I'll need to design my own and would need to know what kind of actuator to use: rack and pinion, screwdriver, or linear stepper motor?

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
Re: gripper cliamp needed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:44:17 PM »
Could you give me an idea of how much gripping force you need, or how heavy the stuff is you plan on gripping?
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:19:04 AM »
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline thomasrex

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:49 AM »
The problem with the Boebot design (which uses a set of struts that form a parallelogram, thus always keeping the ends paralell) is that is still moves the tips of the gripper OUT as it clamps. 

That was unacceptable for a gripper I built, so eventually I  found a linear roller slide track, combined with a screw thread or acme screw, did the trick.  Attach your gripper to the slider, move it with the screw thread or acme screw, turned by a servo or stepper motor.

Got a 4" grip, perfectly linear clamping action.

Have fun!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list