Author Topic: For-fun side project  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
For-fun side project
« on: November 19, 2007, 03:33:23 PM »
I am planning out my at home winter break project since I'll have not much to do during the break. I'm planning on making a Portal Turret (turret from the game of portal. if you've never played, then you're missing out). One of the parts of the project I'm not familiar with is getting the damned things to talk. The portal turrets are memorable because of their odd voices and choice of words. If I can get the sound waves/mp3 files from the game, what can I use to just play the sounds whenever I want?

Other than that I've got it planned out - hobby servo to rotate the body, one servo to open their shell, cheap laser pointer, infrared sensors to use as motion detection. The other tough part will be figuring out how to make the turret fire nerf guns but thats down the line.

Offline SomeSaba

• Helpful? 0
Re: For-fun side project
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
i've actually also made plans for a turret side project, except with a cheap electric 250 round airsoft gun.

i think the max distance for IR sensor is around 150cm though, and i know of some rather cheap 6.45m sonar sensors, wouldnt that be better?

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
Re: For-fun side project
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
know what would be easy

take the $50 robot with ir range finder upgrade and hook it up so if the person is on the right have it turn on the servo on the righ and vice versa

you ma need to change the code a bit but it should work
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Get Your Ad Here