Author Topic: Animal Robot  (Read 2829 times)

Offline theengineerTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Animal Robot
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:40:10 AM »
Im new here im 15 , and i would like to make a robot i want to make something nice something that will make people jump if they knew it was a robot .

i would like to make like a land mammal robot like a cheetah , monkey , lion , maybe even a bear .

but i understand i would need alot of help to do this so can anyone here help me ?

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Animal Robot
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »
Hi there :)

If by help You mean do all the hard work for You, then it's not likely You'll find any help. If by help You mean occasional advice when You get stuck, then most likely there will be plenty of people willing to help You out  :)

What's the exact help You are seeking?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
i started researching , i found out that it's a quadruped robot , i wan to do something big like a cheetah.

but im thinking of making a small one if the big cheetah is hard , something small like a bird

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
Have You ever built a robot before?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
In addition to what newInRobotics is asking, another question/request:  Link us to an example of a robot that already exists that is similar to what you want to make.  (The subsequent question is going to be along the lines of: who built this robot? A company/government? or a hobbyist?)

Basically what I'm getting at is making sure you tackle something feasible...
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
Hi,

i would like to make like a land mammal robot like a cheetah , monkey , lion , maybe even a bear .

but i understand i would need alot of help to do this so can anyone here help me ?
Sounds to me like you're more interested in making an animatron?

What, if any, have you done previously?
Any experience with programming microcontrollers?
With soldering?
What is your expertise level of and what tools. machinery and instruments do you own, or have reasonable access to?
If you're starting from zero, will you be able to stay on a project for a year or two?

We need to have an idea of where you are to help you best, but anyway, a full size animatron shouldn't be your first automation project. To keep the spirit, you need to achieve a success every nor and then, so starting with something a bit more modest makes a lot of sense :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »
im Brand new to everything forum , robotics , little programming knowledge , im very good at computers though

for the cheetah:
http://io9.com/5890576/the-pentagons-robotic-cheetah-is-the-fastest-mechanical-mammal-ever-built

goverment build this
little survelliance bird

http://inhabitat.com/nano-hummingbird-is-a-tiny-flying-robot-that-moves-like-a-real-bird/
 goverment build this also .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »
it also came to my mind , this cartoon called my life as a teenage robot .

the idea of a autonomous robot .

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
im Brand new to everything forum , robotics , little programming knowledge , im very good at computers though

for the cheetah:
http://io9.com/5890576/the-pentagons-robotic-cheetah-is-the-fastest-mechanical-mammal-ever-built
This is not something experienced DIY roboticist could achieve easily. Did You notice writings just before the end of video: "The Cheetah Robot is being developed by Boston Dynamics, with funding funding from DARPA's Maximum Mobility and Manipulation (M3) program"? Aim way way lower  ;)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
: ( , whats the simplest , robot but with a great purpose?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
so wait what about the

humanoid robot (2 legged) xj9 style

survelliance robot that can fly (UAV)

new idea a robosnake ? with camera where face is

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
Hi,

for the cheetah:

goverment build this
No, Boton Dynamics build that with (loads of) tax money.
Boston Dynamics is probably the closest real world company to Skynet and they have nearly unlimited funding.

You, OTOH are "very good at computers" and that's about it.
Not to discourage your dreams, but you'll never accomplish something like that on your own - it's a team effort (a large team even) and they're experienced i the field.

If you wanna start in robotics, the $50 robot of this site will present a suitable challenge and a foundation of knowedge that you can build on.
If you choose that route, you'll gt plenty of help, whenever you meet a mental wall, but if you insist on taking on the impossible, nobody will bother (and anything beyond the $50 and the likes, will be "the impossible" to you, at your present stage).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Hi,

: ( , whats the simplest , robot but with a great purpose?
If a great purpose = you learning, with a real chance of succeeding, then the $50 robot would be the logical place to start :)
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »
thanks

Get Your Ad Here