go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 robot programmer question  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Please_DeniseTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
$50 robot programmer question
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Hey there.

I just built my robot successfully and like . . everything works > the photosensors (albeit slightly dodgy and stupid). . > the servo . . the .hex file uploads alright (Flash OK! .. Enter programming OK! ..this OK! ..that OK!).

However, how do I get it to work without it being plugged into the (usb port of my) computer? It just loses all of its power once the USB is unplugged. I must have checked all of the wiring at least 80 times and there's just nothing missing by the looks of it.

Note: I'm using the 'expensive' AVR MKII Programmmer  . .

I have read the tutorials over and over (well, I'm still open to the possibility that I might have missed something. .)

Haven't been able to find similar questions around the forum, either.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:21:53 PM by Please_Denise »

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: $50 robot programmer question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
What is it that's not getting power? The programmer, or the robot?
The programmer is only needed while uploading the .hex file; you can disconnect it from the robot and the computer when that's done.
If the robot is currently not getting power, then you should start looking at the battery pack with a volt meter, and follow each link in the chain with the voltmeter, until you find the place that doesn't get power.

Offline Please_DeniseTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: $50 robot programmer question
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »
Got it . Man, does that feel good!

It won't work if the programmer cable is still plugged into the circuit, probably blocking the flow of something. I was so scared I might have fried the microcontroller. . Shipping is expensive and takes sooo long :/

Well. . got dirty hands to clean. . messy room to sort. I really enjoyed that, took me about a week and 2 lots of 3m soldering wires ! !

Get Your Ad Here

data_list