Author Topic: Servocity Gearbox Assembly instructions confusing?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
Servocity Gearbox Assembly instructions confusing?
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
Hi everyone.

I hope I haven't posted this question before, I can't remember if I did. I did a search and couldn't find anything so hear it goes.

I have a handful of gearbox assemblies I bought from Servocity a long time ago. I've come to a resolution to just have them assembled in the factory from now on, but I'm still confused on how to assemble the servo gearboxes I bought a while back.

All the assembly guide told me to do was to solder the green wire to the left tab of the potentiometer and the yellow wire to the center tab, and the red wire to the right tab. I understand that these wires are inside the servo case, but the instructions weren't clear on how to get them out. I suppose I use a drill or a dremel to make a hole in the servo case, but the assembly guide never mentioned a drill or a dremel anywhere. I'm also afraid of drilling a hole through the electronics. Last time I tried opening a servo as well, the gear train spilled out.

In any case, has anyone done this before themselves? I'd really appreciate the help, along with the ability to see the process more visually, if possible.

Thanks.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
Re: Servocity Gearbox Assembly instructions confusing?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
Hey SeagullOne,

I'm a little confused by your question.

A gear box only makes more Torque for the servos and should not need any electrical connection.

I looked up the servo city gear boxes and found pictures as found here http://www.servocity.com/html/spg755a-bm-360_360o_rotation.html

As you can see, the Servo fits inside the gearbox.

Am I not understanding your question?  Please let me know if I can help more.

Mike

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:14:03 AM »
To make the gearbox work properly the servo has to be modified. My reccomendation is just to open up the servo case, but only take off the back - keep the part that contains the servo gears intact.

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.

I found an old sheet of paper lying around my house instructing on how to modify the servo for the ServoCity Gearboxes, but it was more challenging than I anticipated!

I went with my gut instinct and I wasn't comfortable doing it myself. I know how to solder and all that, but I got a little punchy when it came to doing the surgery on my expensive servos. I decided just to send my servos over to ServoCity for modification. They were happy to do it for me.

Again, thanks guys!
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Get Your Ad Here