Author Topic: Robot Processor All in One  (Read 6689 times)

Offline PtMartinsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Robot Processor All in One
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
Hello,

Actually this is more like a beginner question. I have all the parts to build a robot (motors, sensors, etc.). Actually is already build. It's the CyBot (http://www.mstracey.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm)

My Idea is to change the robot's microcontroller, and concentrate more on programming it's behavior.

My question is: is there any "all in one" robot processor platform that has built in the processor, motor controller, wifi, etc. ? I would like only to make code in my laptop and download it to the robot processor (by RS232, wifi, ethernet, etc.)

I heard that qwerk is pretty good, but there are others ?

Help ?

Thanks

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Robot Processor All in One
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
All in one? Not really.

The issue is that everyone has different requirements . . . no point in putting a $60 20A motor driver on a microcontroller when the user will only have servos (or only use 1A motors). Or putting on $30 wireless when the user would be happy with a wired connection.

An all in one microcontroller won't be simpler to understand in terms of programming, and you will end up paying for things you won't use/understand . . .

More importantly, you will want to find a microcontroller thats designed to easily connect to external components and have instructions on doing so.

Anyway, here is a good read for you:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_faq.shtml#best_microcontroller

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
First of all thanks for your answer.

My idea is to make a AGV robot like the one i've programmed on my faculty (wifibot - http://www.wifibot.com/ ).

So my requirements are wifi and webcam capable.

But the link you gave me was very helpful, because i've seen your Axon MCU and i'm very interested on it.
But my question is: can it meet my wifi and webcam requirements ? How can I expand it in the future ?

Thanks

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »
There are no microcontrollers out there (to my knowledge) that can use a webcam. Mostly because microcontrollers typically aren't used on the web :P
(and lack sufficient processing power, too)

What are your plans for the camera? At the moment the Axon supports the Blackfin Camera, and source code is included. I'm still working on the documentation, however.

As for wifi, see this post:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=938.0

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:12:16 PM »
My requirements are a web cam that can produce images, and have some image processing capabilities.

My in you reply, you mentioned a topic that contains this board - Atmel ATNGW100.

My question is: can i connect axon with Atmel ATNGW100 via the expansion pins (or uart)? The axon acting as the motor, servo, and sensor controller, and the Atmel ATNGW100 acting as a network gateway ? (and the blackfin camera module as a video provider)

(actually i'm also thinking in make my robot display video and receive commands from a web page)

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:13:28 PM by PtMartins »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »
Before I get into too much detail, why do you want a camera and wifi? (There might be easier methods to achieve the same goals, but I don't know what your goals are)

For video, you don't want to do the actual image processing on the Axon. Computer vision takes a while to learn, and requires heavy processing. The CMUcam, the AVRcam, and the Blackfin Camera each do onboard image processing, and just sends the results (the useful info) to the Axon.

If you wanted to use a webcam, you'd be better using a laptop with Roborealm software.

My in you reply, you mentioned a topic that contains this board - Atmel ATNGW100.
You mean this?
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=926.0

If this is your first robot, I think you should take a step back and keep things simple. You're asking for a lot of pain if you want advanced features but don't know the basics . . .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »
Yes, i totally agree with you. Start simple.

My first approach is the axon, 2 motors, 2 or 3 sensors, and batteries.

My questions about wifi and cameras, is for the future expansion of my robot.

Thanks

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »
I had recently the idea on controlling a robot with a bluetooth enabled cell phone. After some google i found that the lego mindstorm nxt already has a java application for mobiles, to communicate with the nxt robot.

The nxt has a file (remotec i think) that receives commands from the java application, and enables the appropriate ports on the robot.

My question is: With a bluetooth module connected to the axon, can it's programming language receive commands from the java nxt controller (installed on the mobile) ?

thanks

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »
With a bluetooth module connected to the axon, can it's programming language receive commands from the java nxt controller (installed on the mobile) ?
What you do is set up the UART to receive the data, and then you program it to decide what to do with the data. I don't know what commands the nxt controller sends, but if you look them up, it wouldn't be hard to process them on the Axon.

Get Your Ad Here