go away spammer

Author Topic: 3D printing parts for fun!  (Read 2211 times)

Offline AnorocTopic starter

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
3D printing parts for fun!
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
Hi everyone. Since the beginning of the year, I've been developing a 3D printer. We're actually finished with the printer, but I want to start blogging about my experiences with the machine. If anyone has parts they want printed, I'd be happy to print them for free. All I ask is that I have permission to blog about the process and share images of the finished part.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a message. I can print with ABS, PLA, PETG and flexible filament. The available print size is 6 x 6 x 9, but parts can always be broken into pieces, if larger than the available print volume.

Thanks!!

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Re: 3D printing parts for fun!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
If anyone is interested, shoot me a message. I can print with ABS, PLA, PETG and flexible filament.

That's cool you're willing to do this for people.
I made a 3D printer - printed two test pieces - and haven't touched it since.
Turns out that for me, building a 3D printer was the goal, not having one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAGvzeQw2Oc

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »
Looks like one heck of a substantial build!

I virtually print something every day. I have CNC machines too, but there are some parts that make more sense to create on the 3D printers. It's changed the way I make stuff.

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
I virtually print something every day. I have CNC machines too, but there are some parts that make more sense to create on the 3D printers. It's changed the way I make stuff.

You keeping your version a secret?

Let's see a link.

Mine was a ton of work as all SW is 100% from scratch, both in the uC(ARM7) and the PC.
All axis's servo control (encoder feedback with PID @1kHz update) with brushed DC motors.
All electronics hand designed and built.
Mechanics machined and welded at home.
I did leverage previous work on 3D printers by using store bought hot-bed and nozzle (J-Head).

For total effort:
10% HW
10% Electronics
80% Software

If I had to do it again, I would certainly be smarter about it and use the stepper systems that have become common and a motion system like Mach3.

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
Not a secret. I just didn't want to come off as an advertisement, (I really just want some fun projects to print, and share).

However, since you asked:

http://knp3d.com

We spent about a year refining everything. I'm toying with some other forms of printing now, but it'll be quite some time before I'm finished :P

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »
but it'll be quite some time before I'm finished :P

I see, it's commercial. Still cool you're willing to do a few for free.
It could really get someone through a deal breaker on a robot project. With so many ways to get distracted these days, needing a part you can't buy (or make) could make the difference between a life long interest in making and getting sucked into a gaming habit. 

Over the weekend I modified SW to allow the printer(CNC) to read PLT files from EAGLE PCB editor, so it can now machine simple two layer PCBs. Maybe I should agree to help in the same way.

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
That sounds like a deal that's pretty hard to turn down! PCBs and mechanical parts for the cost of shipping.  8)

Get Your Ad Here