Author Topic: Axon II  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Jordan4762Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Young robot builder =P
Axon II
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
I have never made a robot before, and I am still only 12, so I don't know much (if anything) about robots. I have a decent budget and I am thinking about buying the Axon II. How exactly does it work? Does it replace the breadboard? I honestly have no idea. This microcontroller is different than most others, because they just are black strip-like components that you put directly in the breadboard. So once again, does it replace the breadboard, or do they somehow 'connect' to each other? Thanks
Email me at: [email protected]

• Helpful? 0
  • Young robot builder =P
Re: Axon II
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
Im torn between these:
Iphone 4
Lego Mindstorms
DIY robotics
 :-\

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »
Admin will answer all of your questions as soon as he reads the thread since he is the Creator (of the Axon II).  

But I'll try to answer them anyway.

The axon II HAS a microcontroller on it.  It's the ATMega640.  It simply has hook ups so you don't need a breadboard anymore.  You use header connections to "plug stuff in".  Then you program the microcontroller as you normally would (well, with a bootloader, but he's already implemented that for you), and you're set.  

Instead of running a ton of wires all over the place on your breadboard, you simple plug whatever you want in.  That way you don't have to solder anything if you want to eventually make a board yourself, and you don't have to worry about things moving and falling out like you would if you put a breadboard on a robot.  

It's a great product, and makes things a lot more simple.  

If you haven't read this page, I suggest you do.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2/

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
I recommend watching the demo videos to see how it works and what it can do:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2/axon2_videos.shtml

• Helpful? 0
  • Young robot builder =P
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
Awesome. I think I will buy it. It costs alot of allowance  :P
I doubt it, but can I get a free sample of an axon II for my first robot?  ;D

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
Ha, have to give you props for trying, but admin's not a big giant company.  He's just one guy.  If he was giving out free axon IIs everyone would want one.   ;)

• Helpful? 0
  • Young robot builder =P
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »
Im making $5 or less a month from my parents -.- So I would appreciate free microcontrollers, breadboards, Chassis, Components,or even old robots for parts for mine.

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »
RE Free parts: As has been said, Admin is not a big company and therefor probably isn't going to be willing to give out free samples ;)

However, many large companies are more than willing to send out sensible quantities of their products. I have found that:
  • IC manufacturers are the most willing to send out samples: Microchip, Intersil, Maxim, Texas Instruments, etc
  • Discrete components and hardware are much harder to get hold of
  • Order sensible quantities — some manufacturers will limit you to 2/3, others let you specify a quantity. Don't ask for more than about 10.

As a teenager I know what it's like to try to make robots with minimal equipment on a small budget. The most expensive thing is going to be the motors and associated hardware — this is where Lego comes in handy! If you can pick up old Lego motors and Lego Technic gears, you can prototype sturdy chassis and geartrains quickly. All you'd have to do is drill some holes in the Lego to screw the Axon on.

Alternatively, servos might be better for you. I've never used them myself (after hearing that they're expensive and inefficient, I may be wrong), but I think they're plug and play with the Axon. To drive other motors, you'd need to make/buy control circuits. Not difficult, but a hassle.

Good luck!
Barnaby

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 04:54:08 AM »
Well, Robotics becomes a lot cheaper when you become aware of more and more places that sell things cheaper than others.

I myself use servos most of the time due to the simplicity of getting them to work. And servos are defiantly up to the job as they are what Admin uses successfully on his ERP robot.

For resistors, caps, leds, OPAMPS, stand alon MCU's and many other components i use futurlec. they are very good prices and they provide good shipping. I myself have used them numerous times and never had a problem.

For servos, wheels, batteries, and other bits and peices you might buy from a hobby shop I use Hobby king, good prices and a good range ranging from cheaper servos to the more expensive and reliable servos. in general their prices are good and shipping is not to bad either.

Not that I own a AXON but i am seriously considering one for the future(if i still have mony left after my rc planes :P)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »
I occasionally have robot contests where the winners get a full refund on their Axon. Most people who enter - and complete their entry - win. It usually just involves writing about and/or making a video of your Axon-controlled robot (any type you want).

I'll probably announce another in a month or so, when I have more time.

• Helpful? 0
  • Young robot builder =P
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I occasionally have robot contests where the winners get a full refund on their Axon. Most people who enter - and complete their entry - win. It usually just involves writing about and/or making a video of your Axon-controlled robot (any type you want).

I'll probably announce another in a month or so, when I have more time.

I dont have enough money to make one in the first place, I make $5/month if I am lucky -.-

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »
Dude, we get it.  We were all young once.  I never got an allowance.  There are ways to make money, even at 12.  If you're really interested you'll find ways.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:57 AM »
Since you don't have much money and you wish to really learn how to use and program micro-controllers for robots I suggest starting with the $50 Robot project. The Processor used in the $50 robot (ATmega8) is compatible with the processor in the Axon (ATmega640) but can be bought for a few dollars each. The development tools for both processors are the same and you could upgrade to the larger processor (or Axon) and re-use any code you write.

By building everything yourself not only will you spend less money but you will learn much more than buying a ready built processor board. I started this way and still take this approach what I want to really learn how something works.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »

• Helpful? 0
  • Young robot builder =P
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
I will try and ask for old electronics, but don't expect to find me in a dumpster. Maybe behind admins house though. He has to have some good stuff in there =P

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
I will try and ask for old electronics, but don't expect to find me in a dumpster. Maybe behind admins house though. He has to have some good stuff in there =P

Haha admin wrote that article(I think), he doesn't throw anything away.   ;D

Offline totalis

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
If you are interested in a cheap starter MCU, i do have some ones i had made recently, they are assembled and tested, 32Kb of flash for programming, 16MHz speed etc etc. The details can be found in this thread

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=13918.0

About £10 plus postage, but i would have to check that postage isnt stupidly huge else its not worth it...

T

Offline mr roboto

• Helpful? 0
    • http://legomindstormmania.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
its not that hard to make money when your 12.
ask your parents if they are willing to pay you to do random jobs. I make 5 bucks an hour with this. just remember that this will take you 20 hours of work just to get the axon and much more to get all of the parts. my newest design will take about 80 hours of work to get the cash
(well 60 hours now.... Ive already got a hundered) also consider entering in a science fair. then you can go around to local businesses to see if they will sponsor you for the fair. you can get about a hundered per business but you have to advertise for your sponsors. if you live in a small town you almost have a hundered percent chance of winning somthing. each prize you win will be worth about a hundered bucks. you might also go to the next level of the competition and maby make it to the nationals. in the nationals if you win a bronze award you get enought to completely pay for the robot. dont even get me started about gold (i am talking about special awards in your catagory not the actual real inportant awards which you can get around ten grand for winning)
just ask us any question you want to know. that what were here for.
robotics isnt as hard as it looks.
oh and axon is a great choice but for your low bugget I would get an axon 1 not an axon 2. most of the exteras an the axon 2 you wont ever use anyways and axon 1 is cheeper.

I once though that my brain was the most wonderful part of my body. then i realized who was telling me this

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am i or are the others crazy"?
 Albert Einstein

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 02:39:01 AM »
also consider entering in a science fair.

Heh… I wish we had similar things in rural Devon, UK. Ah well, back to busking to make robotics money (which in all seriousness is a brilliant way to make money if you play a musical instrument. On the accordion, I make approximately £25 an hour).

Thanks,
Barnaby

Offline mr roboto

• Helpful? 0
    • http://legomindstormmania.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »
sorry for not replying sooner
yeah that works too
I have done a little busking with my devil sticks but not much.
hey
why not make a devil sticking robot?
I once though that my brain was the most wonderful part of my body. then i realized who was telling me this

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am i or are the others crazy"?
 Albert Einstein

Get Your Ad Here