go away spammer

Author Topic: XY Chess Robot  (Read 2568 times)

Offline wackos00Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
XY Chess Robot
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Hello all, great forum you have here.
I have been tasked with making an XY robot that can play chess.  We basically want to build this YouTubeVid.  But we want to scale it up a bit!
I would like to ask your opinion on the best sort of stepper motors we will require to drive the XY robot.  We want to make the board around 1.5m square so the pieces will have to move a fair distance in a relatively short space of time.  So long as the magnets are strong enough I think somewhere around 0.5m/second should do it.  If I put felt on the underside of each chess piece it should slide nicely on the chess board...... :-\
As for sliding, I was going to use linear guides.  Some belts and pulleys from the servo motor attached to the carriage on the linear guides and some sort of frame to house it all.  Sounds easy doesn't it!  We were going to use an electromagnet to slide the pieces from under the board.  That way we can turn it on and off easily.
So any advice at this early stage would be most welcome.
The main thing I'm not sure about is the spec of the stepper motors I will need so any help there will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:27:26 PM by wackos00 »

Offline Gyarados

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: XY Chess Robot
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:53:31 AM »
Hi,

You might want to try the motor RMF calculator on the main site
http://www.societyofrobots.com/RMF_calculator.shtml
That page explains it all well.
Try the robot dynamics page too.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/mechanics_dynamics.shtml

Offline ASRS

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »
Have you seen this? Pretty cool, and its fast too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qvFs9ePnZrg#!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
You will need to be able to lift pieces, rather than just slide them, for example to support knight moves and perhaps castling.
And, because you need this capability, you might as well build that as the main way of moving pieces.
This means you need three axes, and a gripper.

This is not particularly different from a "pick and place" machine that populates electronic circuit boards with components. Maybe that gives you some search terms.

Also, the bigger you make something, the more expensive it becomes, by a factor that I'd estimate to the square of the volume supported. For a bot that can do 4 feet one way (1.2 m) and 8 feet the other way (2.4m) with a third axis, but no gripper, look at the ShopBot PRS Alpha CNC router. It's a $15,000 class machine.

Get Your Ad Here