Author Topic: Newbie Question - Eep!  (Read 1879 times)

Offline RoskvapeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Newbie Question - Eep!
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
First, I would like to apologize for being pretty uneducated on the subject of electronics.

That being said, I have a seemingly simple dilemma:

1. I need to create a system that is about the size of a watch (or smaller, preferably).
2. It needs to performing the basic function of counting up in minutes and hours, and display this time.
3. Whenever on, it needs to count up. Whenever off, it needs to reset the counter.

Can anyone help me figure out what components do I need for this? I have a vague idea, but I don't know specifics or terminology.

I figure I will need:

A watch battery
A display
A chip of some sort (too vague, I don't know how to buy/make the exact thing I need)
A circuit board?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Newbie Question - Eep!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:15:34 AM »
Hi,

1. I need to create a system that is about the size of a watch (or smaller, preferably).
2. It needs to performing the basic function of counting up in minutes and hours, and display this time.
3. Whenever on, it needs to count up. Whenever off, it needs to reset the counter.

Can anyone help me figure out what components do I need for this? I have a vague idea, but I don't know specifics or terminology.
Well, let's see... You need something the size of a watch, having a display like a watch, acting like a watch, turning on with power like a watch and turning off and resetting when power is removed... Tough one...

Hey, what about using a watch!  ;D

Gee, no need to reinvent the wheel, just pop off to the nearest dime store and buy a cheap watch. Then arrange a switch in series with the battery and you're there.
Shouldn't set you back more than a few bucks and less than an hour in the workshop.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:00:21 AM »
if sorens idea will work go with it, if you build it completely your self it wil cost alot more than a few bucks.

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
A few dollars of electronics will also get you the same thing. A micro controller might not even be needed. Look up a 555 timer - they range from a precision far beyond what you need to being able to accurately count out seconds, much like you need. If you want to take a micro controller approach (easier circuit, over all, but slightly more $) then use a small, simple micro controller like any in the ATTiny series. You don't need that much power.

Let us know if you need much more help.

Offline RoskvapeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies! :)

I'll give the watch a shot. I am also going to check out the 555 timer. :)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »
Hi,

A few dollars of electronics will also get you the same thing. A micro controller might not even be needed. Look up a 555 timer - [...]
And the display goes where?   ;)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
Hi,

A few dollars of electronics will also get you the same thing. A micro controller might not even be needed. Look up a 555 timer - [...]
And the display goes where?   ;)

Simple binary counter, and there are all analog circuits that can convert a given binary number to one of those LED matrixes (I forget their actual name - they're all the number eight until they light up?) Yeah there are ICs for that. So yeah, my suggestion still works. It just won't be a fancy LCD screen.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
Hi,

Simple binary counter, and there are all analog circuits that can convert a given binary number to one of those LED matrixes
Analog???
BCD to 7-seg. is not what I call analog.

(I forget their actual name - they're all the number eight until they light up?) Yeah there are ICs for that. So yeah, my suggestion still works. It just won't be a fancy LCD screen.
Well, your suggestion doesn't work! Trust me, as a guy who has actually build lots of watches, timers etc. with pure TTL back in the seventies, I know the amount of chips needed, the size of the box to hold it (not exactly watch size) and the hole it will burn in your pocket.
Suggesting that, over a digital watch from a dimestore, doesn't really work as proof of sanity ;D
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list