Author Topic: Drive Belt Question  (Read 2613 times)

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
    • DC/MD/VA Robotics and Automation Team
Drive Belt Question
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Would it be a bad idea to have one drive belt for each motor. There are 4 motors on a ground vehicle.
These are the motors with sprocket already attached --> http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24v20mowisp.html
The wheels also have sprockets attached. The wheel sprockets has approx. around 4 inches in circumference and has around 5 teeth per inch.

Those motors sprockets and the wheel sprockets need a compatible belt.

My guess is around 8 inches in total circumference length that also has 15 mm/.59 inches width and about 5 teeth per inch.

I was wondering if this belt would work? I can't read the specs real well.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=2891&GroupID=213

If someone can help me read the specs to figure out if they would work with my motor sprockets and my wheel sprockets.

I just think one belt per motor would work out best with the chassis size limitations.
The motors look small on the website, but when I got them in the mail they were much bigger than I estimated. So now I need one motor and one belt. Like four wheel drive.

Offline DAGUROBOT

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Drive Belt Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
That won't work for us. The belt is not wrapped around the wheels like in the link you sent.
The belt is actually wrapped around the motor and the wheel sprocket on the inside of the chassis.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
The drive belt was interfaced with the old ActivMedia Pioneer robot chassis. Here is a picture of it.
Revised Pioneer Drive Belt

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:35:14 PM by vidam »

Offline antom

• Helpful? 0
    • Ecotrust Energy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »
You have 2 different belt pitches. The motors have 5mm (metric) pitch x 15mm wide.The 5mm has a rounded tooth form. The wheels have a .200 (inch) XL pitch which has a trapezoidal tooth form. Even if the teeth had the same geometry, the pitch is not the same either. I would look for new posi-drive pulley(sprocket) for motors.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
This may be a little off topic, but you can get a belt and motor with sprocket easily from any old printer.  The belt is rather thin, but is very rigid and durable.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
You have 2 different belt pitches. The motors have 5mm (metric) pitch x 15mm wide.The 5mm has a rounded tooth form. The wheels have a .200 (inch) XL pitch which has a trapezoidal tooth form. Even if the teeth had the same geometry, the pitch is not the same either. I would look for new posi-drive pulley(sprocket) for motors.

We have tested the motors and there is enough tension on it that the motors turn reliably. If we have any issues at all, I would know what to do in the future- a) get a new belt or b) posi-drive pulley(sprocket) for motors.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list