go away spammer

Author Topic: 3D printer  (Read 1965 times)

Offline vipulan12Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
3D printer
« on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
hey everyone, i am planning on buying a cheap 3D printer however i don't know what to look for in a 3D printer

i have heard of the buccaneer 3D printer and people of  building their own 3D printers (rep rap)

should i build a 3D printer to save money or buy one? also what specs am i looking for?
if i should build one are there any good builds i should check out?
also why are 3D printers so expensive?

i plan on using it to create gears,maybe propellers(if possible), and other parts nothing very large for my projetcs

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: 3D printer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
3D printers are expensive because they need a lot of mechanics, and mechanics have not seen the same 50-year improvement curve as electronics have. Linear bearings, precision shafts, and stepper motors are all part of a 3D printer.

Also, 3D printing is great for things that you can build out of plastic, and doesn't need very great strength. A gear such as used in a drivetrain gearbox probably needs to be injection molded or milled out of engineering plastic; a 3D printed version would probably delaminate under stress.

I built the cheapest kit from printrbot.com (a $300 kit) and it works fine for me for printing parts "for fit" rather than "for strength." Things that need to be solid, I then mill out of aluminum on a CNC mill. The 3D printer helps me get that part right the first time.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
are there 3D printers that can print hard enough materials? using melted aluminum perhaps
also could a  3D printer still print a propeller to lift light loads(less stress)?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »
are there 3D printers that can print hard enough materials? using melted aluminum perhaps
also could a  3D printer still print a propeller to lift light loads(less stress)?
Yes there are but cost in the high 6 figures and up.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
Aluminum makes for a bad 3D printer material because it oxidizes when getting warm. This is the same reason you need tons of flux and gas when trying to TIG or MIG weld aluminum. Also, aluminum can actually burn -- there were some explosions in Chinese factories where aluminum dust from polishing cell phone or laptop cases ignited.

You can 3D print with iron/steel, although it's typically eaiser to do it with something that melts easier, like bronze. I think this is what Shapeways does with their "steel" option, because it's bronze colored, and then filled in with steel dust.

Note that 3D metal printers use selective laser sintering -- this means that a thin layer of powder is laid down, then a laser melts/fuses this powder as desired; lay down another layer; ... This is, as has been said, pretty expensive equipment, although I *believe* you can get a SLS system in the mid 5 figures if you're willing to compromise a little bit.

If you just have a few things you want to get 3D printed, sending your STL files to Shapeways and having them print it in your choice of material is a lot easier and cheaper than buying your own printer, except for the cheap-and-easy print-at-home materials like PLA or ABS. (Note: Shapeways "white strong flexible" is Nylon, which is higher strength than ABS.)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
what free programs can i use to create those STL files?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »

Offline naceiic825

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »
body
If your budget is limited.I really suggest you to install the 3D printer machine DIY. It is easy now.There are many blogs to talk about how to DIY 3D printer machine.Maybe the reprap is the best for you.The are also many development board kit for reprap,like ramps 1.4 kit and ultimaker. You can find it on ebay. But I really suggest you to make your eyes clearer,because many dev kits are in poor quality,especially the A4988 motor driver.It is easy to burn up.

Get Your Ad Here